Options

Just in time for Thanksgiving....

traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
edited November 20, 2005 in Wildlife
Today, I visited the Rye Marsh Conservancy - a local 130 or so acre preserve with a salt water marsh. I knew it was offseason, so I didn't expect any summer residents (like herons, egrets, or ospreys) and - no surprise - there weren't any. But I was not prepared for a virtual shutout of natural flying critters. So I took a few shots of beautiful backlit plants...

45315617-L.jpg

I passed what I thought at first glance was Harry's house - but then I realized that he wouldn't be caught dead in a house like this if there were no birds around....

45315704-L.jpg

So I trudged back along the trail and took a side path through the woods back to to the car...that's when things got really interesting....this cat was sitting on a stone wall in the middle of nowhere making the hair on the back of MY neck stand up....

45315634-L.jpg

So I trudged on a little further and boom! - This whittail bursts through the underbrush stops to look back at me and then trots on (of course I missed him looking back!)...

45315805-L.jpg

And then what should I see as I trudge on a tad further? Pay attention, Andy!

It was a flock of wild turkeys who looked at me for about three seconds and trotted off through the woods. I was so close that the 400mm lens on the camera was worthless for the first few trots...

45315817-L.jpg

I did manage to take a couple of real nice people shots - which I will post over in the people forum place...but I'll leave you with a self portrait....

45315781-L.jpg
Beam me outta here!:winkKT

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Excellent series Keith. You don't need a lot of targets to get good shots as you have just demonstrated. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"