Cock Fight

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited November 3, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Cock Fighting is a tradition that has existed in Bali for centuries. Its current status is that it's 'illegal' other than when it takes place as part of a religious ceremony when the number of fights is restricted to three.

Illicit fights still take place across the island. Here there is no restriction on the number of fights. The cocks are matched carefully to ensure an even contest after which a razor sharp spur is attached to the cock's leg. A feverish round of betting then takes place after which the birds are brought together for the start of the fight.

Each fight lasts two or three minutes and ends when one of the cocks is unable or unwilling to fight. If both birds are reluctant to carry on, a large wicker basket is put over them to force them together so that they continue to fight. The losing bird is butchered, plucked and given to the winning owner together with his winnings from betting.

CA10231208115373-L.jpg

CA10231208265887-L.jpg

CA10231208573002-L.jpg

CA10231209225861-L.jpg

CA10231209370518-L.jpg

CA10231212002187-L.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Pretty powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    very cool serie, love the colors and energy.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    This is a very good series, it captures the tradition, intensity and cruelty of it all. Earlier this year I did a series at a bullfight, which shares the same elements. Beyond the photographs the question in my mind is: how do you preserve the traditions and improve animal welfare? I think it is possible but it will require a lot of education and convincing key individuals to move things along.

For what it's worth here is the link to the series I am referring to. Link
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm not so sure there's an animal friendly way to stage a cock fight. The very nature of the event is brutal although you could argue that the combatants are at least evenly matched in a cock-fight which is not always the case in bull-fighting.

I should add that I dislike any form of animal cruelty, 'sports' included.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    captured very nicely..great set!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited October 29, 2012
    I saw one of these when I was in Bali and I think you've captured the essence well. On my monitor there's a fairly strong green cast on most of them. Was that intentional? Or is my monitor on its last legs? ne_nau.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Maybe both our monitors are dying. But, I assume it was a stylistic decision on Sync's part. Just my opinion, but I think they'd potentially be more powerful in a more balanced tone and WB and a little less vignetting. The compositions and content are excellent though.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    EXIF data indicates these were taken with an iPad 2G. Maybe that explains the color cast.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    If I remember right Sync doesn't take the shots on the iPad. That's just where he stages them before uploading.
  • SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks for responding on my behalf. These were taken with an OMD EM5 and edited on my iPad which seems to remove the EXIF data from the image.

There was clearly an issue with the white balance which the editing app on the iPad doesn't deal with adequately, hence the more stylised processing. These need some work once when I get back to base but I wanted to share the content with you.
    Syncopation

• PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    the greenish hue works for me in this instance
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |