Options

DX mode in D600 question

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited October 28, 2012 in Cameras
Can I actually shoot DX mode to get 10.5M using FX lens?

I am thinking of renting D600 for SF giants WS game. I want extra reach and cleaner iso over my D700. I am going to use 2X TC and 70-200mm but I want to make sure I can ACTUALLLY use DX mode with FX lens? Can a D600 person chime in on this?

Thanks!
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Along those same lines can you shoot FX mode with DX lens? I know you would have to crop some out but is it possible?
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »

Yes.
    I want extra reach and cleaner iso over my D700.

You will get no extra reach. You will likely not get any cleaner ISO.
    I am going to use 2X TC and 70-200mm but I want to make sure I can ACTUALLLY use DX mode with FX lens?

You can, but it makes no sense to do so. Just crop in post. Same result, less work and trouble.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2012
    endurodog wrote: »
    Along those same lines can you shoot FX mode with DX lens? I know you would have to crop some out but is it possible?

Yes.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2012
    Yes.

You will get no extra reach. You will likely not get any cleaner ISO.

I am going to use 2X TC and 70-200mm but I want to make sure I can ACTUALLLY use DX mode with FX lens?

You can, but it makes no sense to do so. Just crop in post. Same result, less work and trouble.[/QUOTE]

thanks for answers!clap.gif I want to avoid having to crop several hundred images fyi.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2012
    thanks for answers!clap.gif I want to avoid having to crop several hundred images fyi.

Understood. Enjoy the game!
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    You can, but it makes no sense to do so. Just crop in post. Same result, less work and trouble.

thanks for answers!clap.gif I want to avoid having to crop several hundred images fyi.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, when I shoot anything I usually have to crop for composition, straighten horizons etc. Unless you have prefect framing shooting in dx mode just saves you image size, not time.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2012
    ...thanks for answers!clap.gif I want to avoid having to crop several hundred images fyi.

I shot the space shuttle flying over So Cal recently, and that was a whole lotta images in a few seconds time with LOTS of cropping.

Cropping several hundred images is never really a problem; you do it once, sync everything, and never worry about it again.

Unless you want to be able to put more images on a single memory card, or maybe shoot in longer bursts, I'd crop later. Lightroom etc. make very quick work of cropping hundreds of images in exactly the same time as cropping a single image.

Just my experience.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2012

I shot the space shuttle flying over So Cal recently, and that was a whole lotta images in a few seconds time with LOTS of cropping.

Cropping several hundred images is never really a problem; you do it once, sync everything, and never worry about it again.

Unless you want to be able to put more images on a single memory card, or maybe shoot in longer bursts, I'd crop later. Lightroom etc. make very quick work of cropping hundreds of images in exactly the same time as cropping a single image.

Just my experience.

=Matt=[/QUOTE]

that's well and good if your subject is in the same location in your frame in large bursts of frames. not sure this will be the case for me.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012

Just my experience.

=Matt=

that's well and good if your subject is in the same location in your frame in large bursts of frames. not sure this will be the case for me.[/QUOTE]

Except that's what DX is-- a center crop of the middle 2/3 of the frame across all of your images that you shoot in that mode. So I'm not sure what the savings in DX mode is going to be if you are going to be making different crops in all the images anyway, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

An argument can be made for disk space-- cropping an FX image in a raw converter is not going to reduce the actual file size, whereas a pre-cropped DX will be smaller.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    that's well and good if your subject is in the same location in your frame in large bursts of frames. not sure this will be the case for me.

Except that's what DX is-- a center crop of the middle 2/3 of the frame across all of your images that you shoot in that mode. So I'm not sure what the savings in DX mode is going to be if you are going to be making different crops in all the images anyway, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

An argument can be made for disk space-- cropping an FX image in a raw converter is not going to reduce the actual file size, whereas a pre-cropped DX will be smaller.[/QUOTE]

I can crop in post or I can "crop" by framing the shot in DX mode. In post it takes 5 sec, in camera it takes 1 sec.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012

An argument can be made for disk space-- cropping an FX image in a raw converter is not going to reduce the actual file size, whereas a pre-cropped DX will be smaller.

I can crop in post or I can "crop" by framing the shot in DX mode. In post it takes 5 sec, in camera it takes 1 sec.[/QUOTE]

Except, per Matthew's point, if you are using lightroom or similar, you crop one image to the DX size (center 2/3rds or so), sync the crop, and you're done.

Again, a point can be made for file sizes and burst speed, but probably not so much for PP time saved.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012

Dude, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either your subject IS in the same location in your frame during large bursts, thus you can shoot DX crop, ...OR if you're not sure this will be the case, why risk it? Shoot full-frame, sync a crop across all images, and then adjust the crop if necessary.

Or, are you implying that by using DX crop mode in-camera, you will magically have that extra bit of incentive to frame your shots perfectly? In my experience this is usually not the case, but you're welcome to try and report back how it goes!

For me, the bottom line is that when you're shooting super telephoto, you're probably going to be cropping anyways even if you shoot in DX crop mode. So you're not saving much time after all.

Do this: Customize your FN or DOF button to switch between DX/FX crop, and do it on the fly as necessary. If you can keep your subject perfectly framed in the center then you're good to go for FX. But every now and then I bet you'll see something happening in the full-frame, and you'll want to jam that FN button and switch back to FX in a jiffy. At least, that's my experience...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2012
    omg..can I just shoot teh way I want to shoot? hehe..fair point though, I will probably crop even more in post anyway.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    omg..can I just shoot teh way I want to shoot? hehe..fair point though, I will probably crop even more in post anyway.

You can shoot anyway you want to. We are just telling you shooting something like sports, DX mode isn't going to save you any time in regards to cropping. The subject moves all over the place, there isn't time to frame the subject perfectly etc. You are going to be cropping regardless of what mode you shoot.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012

I am thinking of renting D600 for SF giants WS game. I want extra reach and cleaner iso over my D700. I am going to use 2X TC and 70-200mm but I want to make sure I can ACTUALLLY use DX mode with FX lens? Can a D600 person chime in on this?

Thanks!

As has been said, and as I mention in My Thread, yes.

Also in that thread you'll see links to my Mug @ 25600 ISO, Which considering the game you mention could be useful to get some action under the lights.
    tom wise
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Why not rent a D800 for more pixels after cropping? Or a D7000 and not worry about the crop at all?
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    well gee..i was going to rent the D600/D800 for game 6 of WS..hahah..maybe i won't have to
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2