The Look

JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in People
This was the brides parents. Before wedding. She was pinning this on him and the way he looked at her, got me. I know its a little soft (on purpose in post processing). Anything else you might have done different, or any critique? Thanks!
Josh Westbrook
---
Atlanta, GA

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    the softness is way overdone in my opinion
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HurmeHurme Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    No processing wider framing. But that's just me.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Unsoften it and make it a black and white.
    Crop to just above his hand from the bottom.
    To bad her eyes were closed, just bad luck.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    you captured the moment, the most important part of this image. The rest is icing, maybe try one with less frosting , less sugar. My only nit is the door hinge being so close to his face,in the circle of attention. that can be cloned out. The love and happiness you captured is priceless.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    I'd ease up on the saturation just a bit, but I like the softness. Quite a retro look for me. Wonderful capture.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    I agree with Qarik, with the softness.
    Less softening and BW would work well!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I like those rounded corners vignettes (black and white), are ones I make sure are installed on LR. They fit the older styles perfectly. I think it looks over softened because of the small size displayed? When I went larger, it doesn't look bad at all to me. Some of us older folks, well, we haven't aged all that gracefully lol. So we made sure those softeners were out there lol. You might try a sepia with this as well, with the rounded corners, might be so retro. I would definitely ditch the hinge and plate behind him, they seem to intrude to me. Nice image, brings a smile here.
  • JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    First of all, thank each and every one of you for your valuable critique and compliments. Its the best way to grow as a photographer to get feedback on your images. So I really appreciate it.

I have looked at each response and agree with them. I see things I didnt see in the original photo (hinge was the biggest whoops lol). The processing was a bit much after looking at the image again. This wasnt the client's image, hers was straight out of camera. This was some messing around with editing, which I will keep to a minimum from here on out with the over softening and saturation. It makes sense now that others have seen it. Valuable feedback!

Thanks again and I love hearing critique on my images.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA