I'm Back! A few shots from my trip. (A little pic heavy)

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 25, 2012 in People
Hello all. Wife and I just got back on Sunday from a 16 day trip to Costa Rica and Panama. We had a fantastic time. I have tons of photos, most of which can't be posted here because they're not "People" :cry but I do want to share a few shots I took during our travels of people we crossed paths with. I will be posting a thread in the Journeys forum that I will link to here in case some you are interested.

None of these are by any means works of art. Just photos I casually took during our vacation so please view them as such.

***EDIT - Here is a link to a thread in the Journeys forum of some more photos from my trip for those interested.
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=228223

1 - Wife standing in this cool tunnel-like thing made out of plastic bottle caps.
i-zQGbCcg-X2.jpg

2 - Wife again, this time holding the most adorable bunny we've ever seen. This was shot at high ISO but the back of my lens was also all fogged up and I didn't realize it.
i-P9ZSLbP-XL.jpg

3 - Father and son feeding pigeons at a park in the town of Heredia
i-VM49p9t-XL.jpg

4 - Boy proudly showing me his catch. Check out his pocket... it's filled with feathers. :rofl
i-dMvrKP6-X2.jpg

5 & 6 - Clown preparing for work :huh
i-HhhCbvS-XL.jpg

i-tWL3qxd-X2.jpg

7 - Little boy in the village of Tortuguero that asked me to take his photo because he was so proud of his teeth.
i-wwM6T8m-X2.jpg

8 & 9 - Beautiful little girl, again in Tortuguero, that put on a show for me while I was sitting on a bench relaxing. A lady that was sitting next to me explained that she is very "Coquetta" or coquette in Spanish. These are my favorite two of the photos I took of her while sitting at the bench. She never once looked at the camera, but every now and again, she throw a glance my way to make sure I was still watching. So cute. :lust
i-GwM4gpk-X2.jpg

i-qRCVxDj-X2.jpg

10 - Some local teens relaxing on the beach, sharing in great conversation
i-jh3x49m-XL.jpg

11 - A drunk gentleman I met at the Panamanian border. I sparked up a conversation with him and we spoke for about 45 minutes about pretty much nothing. He allowed my wife to take a photo of him with me
i-4tM48TS-X2.jpg

12 - A few school kids in Panama that were catching rain drops that I watched for about 15 minutes. These are the little things that I love about travelling to other countries. It reminds me to appreciate the little things and not to complicate life too much
i-9Ctr8rC-XL.jpg

13 - Panamanian boarder agent that asked me to take his photo. He was impressed by my D700 and 70-200mm lens. He said to me "Shoot me with your canon" but it in Spanish.
i-Sxs2khM-X2.jpg

Have more to share but I've already spammed this thread with pics as is. BTW, I actually received email addresses to send these photos so they can see and have them. Well, all but the kids catching rain drops. They were so happy about that. Really feels rewarding.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    #9 is fantastic..and it was probably your wife who steamed up that lens!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 24, 2012
    Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    #9 is superb. That would be hanging on my wall.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Thanks guys. Yeah.. #9 is probably my favorite photo of the entire trip. I have more of her dancing but this was the best frame of the lot.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    And you wonder why you got contacted by Getty? Seriously, Alex, you are WAY too talented - these are wonderful. Wonderful. Did I say... wonderful?!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    WOW Diva. That is really nice of you and I really appreciate it. I know I'm not bad but I do often doubt I'm a good photographer. I find it very hard to look at my work objectively. I do this thing where I will take a photo that initially I love and think is awesome. Then I start to think that I'm just letting the moment color my opinion and I begin to look for all the flaws and before I know it, I'm no longer certain it's all the great. Nothing more than a snapshot. Not sure if you guys go through this with your work.

For example, #9. When I was sitting there watching this girl, I knew there was going to be one of the those WOW moments; I just had to capture it. I waited and waited and I knew it when I saw it. I captured it. I chimped and I was so excited. The shot looked perfect to me. Then a few days later, I went back and looked at it again on the lcd and the whole cycle of doubt began... maybe I'm remember the moment and that I'm letting my emotions get in the way of an objective critique so hearing these comments about that shot is really cool because it validates what I originally felt.

It's so weird because I'm not an insecure person. I'm very confident in most aspects of my life but when it comes to photography, I sometimes lack it. Maybe it's that it such a personal love of mine and I really want people to enjoy my photography as much as I like pursuing the craft. It's easy to get wrapped up in the fear of being "just a guy with a fancy camera"... one of the million "fauxtographer" that exist today. I so hope I'm not one of those guys.

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

My Smug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Not sure if you guys go through this with your work.

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif All the time...
    edited October 25, 2012
    I've add a link in the OP to another thread in Journeys with more pics of the trip.

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    You should be working as a photog for a major magazine dude!

Me, I would have probably spent the entire trip doing a photo shoot with your wife in that bottle cap tunnel!
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    So much Latin America, great job Alex.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way, needless to say, but here it goes:
    You are a natural and that's what Professional Photographers need to succeed, you have proven it.
    Carlos