Options

Band/Artist Photo Shoot

NanoPixelNanoPixel Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 1, 2012 in Technique
Hi I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in Artist/Band photography? Specifically I was looking to find out:

1. What you do about the low light stage shots. Are you using a tripod/monopod if it's allowed?
2. Are you using a flash?
3. How much should you charge a band that is up and coming and doesn't have much of money?
4. Who do you focus on? The band as a whole or do you stick with the lead?
5. What other challenges have you run into with this type of photography that I should look out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    NanoPixel wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone here has any experience in Artist/Band photography? Specifically I was looking to find out:

1. What you do about the low light stage shots. Are you using a tripod/monopod if it's allowed?
    3. How much should you charge a band that is up and coming and doesn't have much of money?
    5. What other challenges have you run into with this type of photography that I should look out for?

Thanks

1. I wouldn't consider a tri/mono pod unless I was shooting Video. I want to move around and find angles that suit my taste and design.

2.Yes. Either use High ISO or use a flash. I have typically used the Flash on a Stick method.

3. No up and coming band has any money. They never do it seems. How much you charge depends on a bunch of business things (assuming you're a business), which I can't answer for you.

4. Who you focus on depends on the overall shoot. What is the shoot about? It's design or theme? End result?

5. Model releases, get releases if you want to use these photos to promote yourself.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012

Thanks

1- NO... it can be real hazard at an event like this and most of the time not allowed by Fire Code, even if venue owner says it is ok....

2- NO ...that kills the mood of shooting live stage act... Plus it is dangerous for the performers as it can blind them, even a second can cause someone to get hurt....

3- seriously... $75-150 / hr ... just as if it was a portrait setting...your working and using damn expensive equipment plus expensive software and computer to process.... or get a P/S and charge $50...

4- the whole band....different songs bring out different looks of each member ... so a few wide shoots of all if possible ..if not just cruze back and forth across front of stage to get different shoots..standing kneeling and so on...

5- people bumping into you ... ... Never drink alcohol while working ... it looks bad and can damage rep, especially if something goes wrong and very few pix turn out....

6- always shoot in RAW so you have the optimum files for processing ....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    daniawdaniaw Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2012

Thanks

#1. For low light I use highest aperture lens f/2,8, manual mode (M) set to 1/30s-1/40s, latest camera can afford to compensiate the low light such as Nikon D300 or even pocket cam like Sony Nex, As I had used

#2. If flash allowed, you can take with or without flash, but if you use a flash you can't catch the ambient light. I prefer shoot whitout flash

#3. I don't know actually

#4. in my experience, shoot the lead is more artistic rahter than the whole band, because I am not an documentation photography

#5. Shoot in RAW and as much as you can as well as look in camera display after you shot