525 Person Group!

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited October 26, 2012 in People
I think for a group this size, I should get my own Forum! This was a shot of the entire student body of a private school in DC. I rented a D800 just for the 36MP resolution, 'cause the shot will be blown up to about four by five feet. I learned a few things:

1. I could NEVER be a schoolteacher. Man what cacaphony!
2. The D800 must not have much of a buffer.
3. Use really, really fast cards with the D800
4. Cherry-pickers wave around like pine trees.
5. If it looks like rain, it will rain.
6. If you think three-row groups are tough on DOF, try twenty-three.
7. I'm waiting for someone's mom to gripe about the fact that her little darlin' on the outside of the group is "all distorted and all."

Here's the link to the original.

i-R8zXH5w-L.jpg

Pull-back:

i-4dt2MGR-L.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    I'm gonna start calling you Gunga Din. You're a better man than I !!!

Great idea!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Hope you charged by the head. I was up in a much larger cherry picker one and was terrified. Don't think I could have lasted in that one. Great shot, faces show reasonably well. Hope they don't orddr 4x6's!!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Now if you could of got them all to laugh it would of gained everyones attention and put a smile on their faces.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    A couple years ago I did some other work for that school that involved using the same cherry picker. We were (thank dog) in a gym with a nice smooth, flat floor. I was shooting straight down on small groups of kids, and thinking "Man I hope this thing doesn't fall over and kill a kid. I don't know I have enough insurance for that." Well, DUH! Nobody bothered to tell me the damn thing had outriggers that time! :yikes Scary.

I got 37 good images this time, and I'm letting the development office choose the one they want buffed and shined. This one is random. They will know which kid's parents are the big financial supporters, and which one won't matter if little Ethan or Caitlan has his/her finger buried up his/her nose to the second knuckle.
    John :
  • vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    The hell if I am gettin up in that thang. Is this all natural light?
    edited October 24, 2012
    vdotmatrix wrote: »
    The hell if I am gettin up in that thang. Is this all natural light?

Yeppers. Nice thin overcast. Couldn't have been better IMO. Still got some squinties, but I shot 37 frames in 1:25. No way speedlights could have recycled in that time. Especially shooting at 1/500th.
    John :
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Hero. iloveyou.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nice! And that rig is one of the coolest photo accessories I've ever seen!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Looks Like at least your cherry picker had solid bar enclosures! I used to work night shift maintanence at a factory, theirs had chains on the basket(and I was 40lbs heavier than the max load)!!

Great job on a serious challenge!!
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
    edited October 25, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Nice! And that rig is one of the coolest photo accessories I've ever seen!

Helluva deer stand too!
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    Looks Like at least your cherry picker had solid bar enclosures! I used to work night shift maintanence at a factory, theirs had chains on the basket(and I was 40lbs heavier than the max load)!!

Uh-uh, Dude. No way with that thing wavin' around like a reed in a stream.
    divamum wrote: »
    Hero. iloveyou.gif

Thanks Dear. I'll bet the kids would have paid better attention to you than me.
    John :
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Wow!!! I am impressed! I thought I had a hard gig with the 160 kids in our church's Awana Club. That is nuts. Looks great though. I am sure they will be extremely happy!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Great job, Icebear.
    Even with outriggers those lifts are not stable.
    I use them almost daily in my main food providing job, (HVAC) and know how it feels.
    You are the man.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!bowdown.gif
    Carlos
    edited October 25, 2012
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    I thought I had a hard gig with the 160 kids in our church's Awana Club. That is nuts.

Thanks Phil. In climbing we have a principle that says "after 30 feet you're dead anyway, so height doesn't really matter." So, 160 . . . 525 . . . who cares after three rows :D
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Even with outriggers those lifts are not stable.
    I use them almost daily in my main food providing job, (HVAC) and know how it feels.

Thanks Carlos. Even after a couple years, I still get the heebie-jeebies thinking about hanging over those kids in the gym without the 'riggers. What was I thinking???
    John :
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nicely done!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nice work, and good luck with getting 'the one'. Are you offering to do any compositing to get more faces in the right direction? Just curious. I did 110 kid school last year from atop the building. Ended up doing some merging to get hits across key donor's kids.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Good job. I will say I would rather shoot all these kids rather than a bunch of sorority girls. Did that a couple of times for a national company and it's a nightmare.

On one job they complained to the company I yelled at them. Yes I did! No matter how I tried to explain to them we needed to move along with the shoot because it was getting dark and rain was imminent and power cords were in the grass which will soon be wet and daddy and mummy would be unhappy if they were to have their butts fried.

Once I understood the world revolved around them I was out of there.

Two thoughts I had after viewing your image. Monday morning quarterbacking. A tilt shift lens would have helped here as well as more distance from group to camera.

I gave a talk to a second grade class one time and never had so much fun in my life! They were amazing. Asking very insightful questions, learning and simply enjoying the whole experience.

I viewed the original image and think once it's polished up it will be adorable. The kids are looking everywhere and nowhere, eyes open, eyes closed, squinting, smiling, not smiling, this is the essence of the kids!

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 25, 2012
    Phenomenal! clap.gif

I do hope you got some where they're all looking up and smiling though. Maybe in retrospect, a fist full of dollars thrown their way would have gotten their attention. naughty.gif
    edited October 25, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Nicely done!

Thanks, Ian.
    John :
    edited October 25, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Are you offering to do any compositing to get more faces in the right direction?

Not a chance.
    John :
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    edited October 25, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Two thoughts I had after viewing your image. Monday morning quarterbacking. A tilt shift lens would have helped here as well as more distance from group to camera.

Yeah, nice thought, but I really would not have had time to futz with a T/S lens. The cherry picker showed up at about the same time the kids started being lined up, 'cause the carpools needed the driveway. Seriously, I only shot for a minute and twenty-five seconds. Once the teachers got those cats (errr, kids) in place and stepped out of the frame, I had to shoot like mad before the whole edifice dissolved. More distance??? Are you nurtz? That would have involved an even taller lift. Not this guy.

Your sorority shoot sounds like one to forget.
    John :
    edited October 25, 2012
    Always bring a blowhorn to a shoot like this! :)

I had a Fox 40 whistle, but after a few blasts, it lost its effectiveness as an "eye lure."
    John :
    edited October 25, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Phenomenal! clap.gif

I do hope you got some where they're all looking up and smiling though. Maybe in retrospect, a fist full of dollars thrown their way would have gotten their attention. naughty.gif

Thanks. Nah. Not a one. Some are better than others, and they have now (quite quickly) made a final selection. Once it's buffed and shined, I'll post it.
    John :
  • TontoTonto Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I'm impressed, in the U.K we call those things super lifts and we use them to raise lighting trusses and other heavy stuff up to the studio grid but I've never seen one with a bucket before.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nice job lol. Better man than me. I was getting a kick from counting kids that had arms crossed and looked to be pouting, too funny.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nice job! I was going to ask why you didn't use a bullhorn to get their attention, but after looking at the full-res version I'm glad you didn't! Many funny rewards in that photo for "pixel peeping". This will provide endless amusement in the school, whereas if you had everyone smiling and looking, there wouldn't be much reason to stop and look very long, and it would be pretty forgettable. Was this intentional?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 25, 2012
    Nice job lol. Better man than me. I was getting a kick from counting kids that had arms crossed and looked to be pouting, too funny.
    Many funny rewards in that photo for "pixel peeping". This will provide endless amusement in the school, whereas if you had everyone smiling and looking, there wouldn't be much reason to stop and look very long, and it would be pretty forgettable. Was this intentional?

Hah! you guys both had the same reaction. No, it really was not intentional. I WISH I had that kind of imagination, but my instinct is for discipline. Too much military background I guess.

Here's a clip from the one they chose. "Call me maybe?" rolleyes1.giflust
    i-tSRx8vv.jpg
    John :
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    It would have been a hoot to "shop" a red stocking cap on one of the little buggers. :D
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Oh man you guys have me rolling with laughter. Bryce, referring to "Where's Waldo"? I found the stool and the milk jug, but that's all I've found so far bawahhaaa. Jking IceBear. Loking forward to seeing the plushed product.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Yeah, nice thought, but I really would not have had time to futz with a T/S lens. The cherry picker showed up at about the same time the kids started being lined up, 'cause the carpools needed the driveway. Seriously, I only shot for a minute and twenty-five seconds. Once the teachers got those cats (errr, kids) in place and stepped out of the frame, I had to shoot like mad before the whole edifice dissolved. More distance??? Are you nurtz? That would have involved an even taller lift. Not this guy.

Your sorority shoot sounds like one to forget.

Again this is not a criticism, just a though or two. I did a group shot where the only way to get any distance at all was to use a ladder in the middle of a bust street. Talk about fast shooting. :D

I rather like the undisciplined image with the kids looking everywhere.

Sam