Options

locked images taken!

HighLightPhotosHighLightPhotos Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited November 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Just thought I'd share this since it's a fresh story.....
I have a gallery where I put images for my son's team. I have Originals turned off, and protection turned on, but don't want to watermark the images since it does interfere with image.
I just got back from a team party and one of the parents had 8x10 prints of some of the images they had taken from their IE cache (or someother method) and they looked surprisingly good! I was amazed.
So be warned that not only is this possible, but the quality is "good enough" for some people.
Water mark the stuff you really want to protect. (I do this with my commercial stuff)
Or turn off the large option as well. (but then I'm sure they'd just take the mediums..... ugh!)
Is there another way? something that looks good on the screen, but really does not print well??

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited November 21, 2005
    Absolutely lock out the originals. Heisting from the cache is an old trick, and it is known to grade school kids. If they can't see the original on their browser, then there will be no original in their cache to take. And never ever totally trust the right click denial routine, as it is too easy to get around.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    The issue though is that larges are enough for a print. I used to allow larges but watermark. Now I just have mediums and no watermark. They could still make a 4x6 I suppose, but whatever. If a person is that desperate to steal my copyrighted material, that's between them and their maker.

BTW David, your PQ of the week page is white text on a white page...hard to read.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited November 21, 2005
    Locking out larges
    Right, as gallery owner, you can also lock out the large sizes from displaying. See:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

Thx for alerting me about the font color problem. I have never used white style. I'm always on the default color. I changed it. Better?
    The issue though is that larges are enough for a print. I used to allow larges but watermark. Now I just have mediums and no watermark. They could still make a 4x6 I suppose, but whatever. If a person is that desperate to steal my copyrighted material, that's between them and their maker.

BTW David, your PQ of the week page is white text on a white page...hard to read.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Right, as gallery owner, you can also lock out the large sizes from displaying. See:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage

Thx for alerting me about the font color problem. I have never used white style. I'm always on the default color. I changed it. Better?
    Can't tell, now the link in your sig is screwy so it's just one link that only goes to your homepage.