Ocelot & a Sloth

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 27, 2012 in Wildlife
Spent 16 days in Costa Rica. Wildlife is not my typical subject but with so much around, it's hard not to find a critter in front of your lens.

Ocelet cat... I think

i-XnBvW38-X2.jpg

Few of a 3-toed sloth. Was pretty stoked about these because although we had seen a few, had yet to capture with close and not sleeping.

i-fPvgHsj-X2.jpg

i-XWdNZBz-X2.jpg

i-j2FP9rD-X2.jpg

i-GNtSS8X-X2.jpg

Have more to share but will limit it to these for now so Harry don't get upset with me. Can't wait to share all the squirrel pics I captured. :wink
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Ocelet cat... I think

Nice shots, Alex, especially the contemplative cat. It's always hard to get to light in the tropical forest, but you did. Regarding the cat i.d., there are two other spotted cats that look like young ocelots. Did you get to see it climb in trees? The margay is able to swing its rear feet backwards, which allows it to to be very nimble in the branches, especially when descending, like a squirrel.
    ---John
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Thanks John. You're right about the light. It was a battle between the deep shadows down below and then the really bright highlights coming through the canopy when shooting upwards. Then there was the constant threat of rain or clouds. It was an exciting trip and I got to experience new stuff.

I didn't see the cat climb so not too sure what type of cat it was. I only guessed at the Ocelot i.d. by doing a cursory search on Google for cats of CR.

My Smug Site
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Love #1, Alex! And the face of that sloth is awfullly cute. Bring on the squirrels! Best, Pam
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Thank you Pam. I always thought sloths were ugly. Not sure why. I find them to be absolutely adorable. Later in the trip, we actually visited a sloth sanctuary and were lucky enough to see both and baby sloths up close and even got to touch their coats. Really amazing creatures.

My Smug Site
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    The first image is excellent. You did a good job with some minimal lighting.

As for squirrels all I can say is that I got a $250 estimate to repair my pool heater today. It seems that a squirrel decided to set up housekeeping in the heater. On the bright side the vermin got fried as it was chewing on some wiring.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"