5D2 and 5D3 Price Drop

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited November 13, 2012 in Cameras
$1699 and $3199 at B&H.

sorry Diva!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Yeah, I saw that. However I still couldn't afford the 3, and I got about $100 worth of rebates and cashbacks when I purchased - AND I had the camera for my shoots this week (which is what I wanted) - so I reckon I didn't do too badly :D The only thing I'm slightly regretting is not having picked up the kit; that said, I see LOTS of brand new 24-105 kit lenses for sale at good prices on FM, so if I really want to add one it won't be a big deal....
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    I finally put my used 5D2 on Craigslist for $1400, and it sold in a matter of hours. I may have under-priced it.

I've got my 24-105 listed at $700, and not a nibble (except for one guy who wants me to ship it to Africa). Lots of 24-105s on the market right now. Maybe I'll just give it to my daughter.
    - Bill
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited October 29, 2012
    The 5D3 is now officially under $3K at B&H. A fact that doesn't make me a very happy camper. With Canon profits at an almost all-time low, and the D800 specs, performance and price slowing the 5D3 sales, I guess this had to happen.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Stuart-MStuart-M Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Well, the price always comes down from the intro price once the early adopter tax is taken off. The 5D3 price will drop further yet, probably after christmas.
    edited October 29, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    The 5D3 is now officially under $3K at B&H. A fact that doesn't make me a very happy camper. With Canon profits at an almost all-time low, and the D800 specs, performance and price slowing the 5D3 sales, I guess this had to happen.

Took them (B&H) awhile. I think it is significant that this is on their website, and not an ebay deal.
    Still, it had to happen. The 5D3 was grossly over-priced, considering the competition and the economy.

I expect to see deals at $2500 on Black Friday. Maybe not B&H, but authorized resellers & US warranty. Still, I'm happy to have grabbed mine at $2750 from Adorama.
    - Bill
    edited October 29, 2012
    billythek wrote: »
    I finally put my used 5D2 on Craigslist for $1400, and it sold in a matter of hours. I may have under-priced it.

I've got my 24-105 listed at $700, and not a nibble (except for one guy who wants me to ship it to Africa). Lots of 24-105s on the market right now. Maybe I'll just give it to my daughter.

Well, my 24-105 sold, and I got my asking price. So I guess there is still a market for the lens. Funny that we had 4 on craigslist at the same time in my area. Now I need to make a credit card payment on the lens I replaced it with.
    - Bill
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012

It is all divamum's fault for hemming and hawing and finally buying a 5D2. :D

Hopefully this price drop will continue through to some lenses, namely the 24-70II!

But this new price is only a temporary sale, the MSRP is still $3194. I think eventually $2994 will be the minimum MSRP, maybe a year from now, and that will be it until the 5D3 reaches end-of-life stages.

As for the performance, I think my 5D3 positively kicks ass. Maybe if your favorite thing to do is push shadows and pixel peep those shadows all day long, you might be better served by a D600/800. Although I'm not too impressed with some 100% crops I've seen from the D800.

If I had waited to buy until now, to save $500, I would have missed some spring skiing, my daughter's theater and dance, baseball season, the whole summer, and soccer season. Mostly the sports, because I did have a 5D2 and 7D, but the 5D3 blows the 7D out of the water for sports. I've gotten my money's worth.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    but the 5D3 blows the 7D out of the water for sports. I've gotten my money's worth.

Wow! That is impressive.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited October 31, 2012
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Wow! That is impressive.

Sorry for the hyperbole. I had a 7D, it was very good. If I didn't also have a 5D2 at the time I might have thought it was excellent. But compared to the 5D2, I had to train myself either to not even look at 7D files at 100% view, or to not expect greatness if I did. I sent it back to Canon for AF service, and it was better after that, but still 100% view was often lackluster - soft or grainy in comparison to my old 5D2. I just had to say well if it looks good at 50% view, then it's a keeper. That's more realistic anyway, but I do like to print big. The 5D3 on the other hand just sparkles. My sports images have never popped this much. Counting eyelashes at 100% view on a servo-AF action shot is a new novelty.

soccer1.jpg
    -Jack

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Interesting Jack. I had to rent a 7D once in 2010 when my 40D went in for a shutter. I have a 20x30 hanging in the study from that camera and I always thought it was a bit soft compared to my 40D images at that size.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited November 1, 2012
    5D3 back up to $3,499 at B&H, then minus the $200 instant rebate for $3,299. Canon is now enforcing their minimum pricing policy, again.
    My Smugmug
    edited November 1, 2012
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Interesting Jack. I had to rent a 7D once in 2010 when my 40D went in for a shutter. I have a 20x30 hanging in the study from that camera and I always thought it was a bit soft compared to my 40D images at that size.

I used to have a 40D, pics were crisp from that camera.

However to be fair to the 7D, it could sparkle on a sunny day...

IMG_5453-X2.jpg
    5D3 back up to $3,499 at B&H, then minus the $200 instant rebate for $3,299. Canon is now enforcing their minimum pricing policy, again.

Oh man. Hope someone got a $2994 5D3 from them while the gettin' was good.
    -Jack

edited November 1, 2012
    I used to have a 40D, pics were crisp from that camera.

My 40D still shines. One of my better purchases. Very nice image quality and fairly light weight compared to the 5 series.

Oh man. Hope someone got a $2994 5D3 from them while the gettin' was good.

I'm sure several hundred did, but one of them wasn't me. Still, I got mine during the rebates, so I was able to save on a package with the 24-105, and also bagged a rebated 16-35 II in the process. Not really unhappy about when I purchased the bundle. The wife - maybe she was unhappy.
    My Smugmug
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012

I'm sure several hundred did, but one of them wasn't me. Still, I got mine during the rebates, so I was able to save on a package with the 24-105, and also bagged a rebated 16-35 II in the process. Not really unhappy about when I purchased the bundle. The wife - maybe she was unhappy.

even with the "MAP" policy there will always be more rebates, probably next month
    edited November 8, 2012
    42nd St Photo
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    even with the "MAP" policy there will always be more rebates, probably next month

42nd St Photo has the 5D3 listed for sale on it's web site for $2769.
    - Bill
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited November 9, 2012
    42nd St Photo has the 5D3 listed for sale on it's web site for $2769.

I'm afraid that I recommend staying away from 42nd Street Photo for major purchases. While their Reseller Ratings have been improving (currently 9.9 out of 10), other reviews and ratings are still pretty bad:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/42th-street-photo-review
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/42nd-street-photo-new-york-3
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cameras/42nd_street_photo.html
    http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/electronic-equipment-and-supplies-dealers/42nd-street-photo-in-new-york-ny-4261
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 9, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I've done business with 42nd St Photo before. They've been around a long time. They are like Abe's of Maine, and will try to upsell, but if you stand your ground you will get what you order. Like you point out, their resellerratings is pretty good. Also, if you look at those complaints, the first one was because they received the camera 3 days late. Now that isn't good, but I don't think it is worth writing an article about, either.

But if there is another store selling the 5D3 for $2769, with free shipping, it would probably be a good idea to buy it from them.
    - Bill
  • luv2sh00tluv2sh00t Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2012
    Great topic. I went in to upgrade from the 5d Mark II to the III and left with a Nikon D800 and all new lenses.

Nikon won me over many years ago. My hotel room was broken into in Vegas and it was stolen. Bought a Mark II and loved it (well almost) the focus problem was a pain in my arse at times. I learned how to deal with it however.

I (at this point) dont have a bad thing to say about either camera. If I had to choose? D800 anyday. I'm just a nikon shooter. I like the way they do things.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
    edited November 12, 2012
    luv2sh00t wrote: »
    Great topic. I went in to upgrade from the 5d Mark II to the III and left with a Nikon D800 and all new lenses.

This isn't a 5D3 vs. D800 thread. There are plenty of those around the web if you search.
    I've done business with 42nd St Photo before. They've been around a long time. They are like Abe's of Maine, and will try to upsell, but if you stand your ground you will get what you order.

Umm, maybe not. If you read some of those reviews Ziggy posted, you'll find several instances of people buying "new" cameras and receiving open-box or gray market cameras. Run away!
    -Jack

edited November 13, 2012
    Well, here is a guy who got the camera at 42nd St:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1247178

He seems pretty pleased, but I'm sure something bad will happen. Laughing.gif
    - Bill