Options

My Microstock Sales - an overview

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited November 6, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been doing microstock for over 3 years now. I am making enough to help pay for my insatiable camera equipment appetite without doing too much work and mostly doing stuff that I totally enjoy.

I love reading about how other microstockers are doing. So I thought.... maybe someone.... especially if they are new to microstocking, may be interested in my sales and what typically sells.

So I wrote another blog post about it. And you can read it here ( http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/my-microstock-sales/ ) if you are interested.

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    Excellent article and well worth the time to read if you are even thinking about getting involved in microstock. Very realistic.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Great way to push people to your referral links
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
    Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
    "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    I kinda thought the same. rolleyes1.gif

Both you guys are correct. But..... I always make sure that I spend a lot of time and put a lot of info into my posts. I used to NOT post stuff like this on forums and I got about 5 hits a week to my blog site. Now I get a steady 100/day and peaks to 300-400 when I post a new article.

I don't have much to offer for the Pro's but for people getting into photography I have gotten a lot of thank you's and complements.

Interestingly enough, I started my blog in the hope that people would migrate to my smugmug or zenfolio sites. About ZERO have in the past couple years ne_nau.gif

So almost all of my revenue is coming from microstock. You can read about it....... oops sometimes I cant help myself.

Cheers!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    Bob

I too have some income from stock and your primer is very informative and helpful to anyone who is looking for ways to bolster their sales. Stock is a great "silent salesman" that needs no attention after the upload. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    bobbyk wrote: »
    Both you guys are correct. But..... I always make sure that I spend a lot of time and put a lot of info into my posts. I used to NOT post stuff like this on forums and I got about 5 hits a week to my blog site. Now I get a steady 100/day and peaks to 300-400 when I post a new article.

I don't have much to offer for the Pro's but for people getting into photography I have gotten a lot of thank you's and complements.

Interestingly enough, I started my blog in the hope that people would migrate to my smugmug or zenfolio sites. About ZERO have in the past couple years ne_nau.gif

So almost all of my revenue is coming from microstock. You can read about it....... oops sometimes I cant help myself.

Cheers!

Well, the mods don't appear to mind these kinds of posts, and it's up to them how they want the forum to be, but this site would be much less interesting if it goes too heavily into the direction where people don't post content on dgrin itself but just come to advertise links to their own blogs.

From the thread title, I thought I'd come here and actually read something about microstock sales. Didn't click through, btw.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    Well, the mods don't appear to mind these kinds of posts, and it's up to them how they want the forum to be, but this site would be much less interesting if it goes too heavily into the direction where people don't post content on dgrin itself but just come to advertise links to their own blogs.

From the thread title, I thought I'd come here and actually read something about microstock sales. Didn't click through, btw.

I am usually quite discerning about these matters and upon review I felt the information the OP was attempting to share outweighed the negative impact of being taken to an off-site blog.

Bob isn't trying to sell anyone anything, nor shoving anything down anyone's throat, so I think it's A-OK!

But I appreciate the feedback and rest assured I, like the other MODS, address these matters with discretion and all due consideration for the membership-at-large.

• Options
    Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif

This forum thread (blog ad) just seems out of place here. Maybe it should be moved to the "check out my blog/website" or "read about my vacation that has virtually nothing to do with photography" section. You know, posts that seem more appropriate on your facebook page.

I clicked on this thread to read more and I got way less then I expected as the OP isn't asking a question, isn't seeking an answer, isn't answering anyone's question and just has not said enough to pique my interest or even covered the topic enough in order to encourage others to click thru to read a more in-depth and articulate article elsewhere.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    I for one thought this article from the OP was well written, timely and interesting. And it is in mind your own business...and to me that means threads/links like this belong here.
    tom wise
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    In Refrence to these off site posts, They can get bloody annoying and out of hand. There is another forum I sometimes now look at where a fashion photographer there relentlessly posts sucker threads to get people to look at his blog. These posts are a look how great I am rave and shameless attempt to get people to his blog. There are others that do the same and it's becoming particularly annoying.

If the article is on a blog, there is nothing stopping a simple cut and paste to put the info on the forum these people are manipulating for their own end.
    From what I have seen before, the trouble with these posts is not the one off's, it's when one person does them and everyone else gets the same idea.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    And another useful contributor is scared off :/ I don't think he can just copy/paste. AFAIK, the forum doesn't support HTML formatting, so he'd have to do redo all the images and links. One extra click won't give you carpal tunnel, and his blog isn't loaded with annoying advertisements or anything.

For what it's worth Bobby, I found it really helpful. I've read a couple articles on microstock, and yours seems the most realistic for beginners. I also appreciate that you were willing to share your sales data :)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    I've tried mirco stock numerous times. My opinion so far? These sites want a stellar photograph that they then sell for pennies. Not worth my time. They also rejected every image of mine of a car, citing trademark issues, EVEN THOUGH I CAN SEARCH THEIR SITE FOR THE SAME CARS.

As far as I can tell, submitting to microstock is an exercise for you doing a ton of work and getting pennies for it. And sorry, but judging from what the OP said he has made so far, on the number of images submitted, he's working too hard for way too little money.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2012
    Work???
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I've tried mirco stock numerous times. My opinion so far? These sites want a stellar photograph that they then sell for pennies. Not worth my time. They also rejected every image of mine of a car, citing trademark issues, EVEN THOUGH I CAN SEARCH THEIR SITE FOR THE SAME CARS.

As far as I can tell, submitting to microstock is an exercise for you doing a ton of work and getting pennies for it. And sorry, but judging from what the OP said he has made so far, on the number of images submitted, he's working too hard for way too little money.

Two thoughts..... Some photographers like Yuri Acurs make $100,000's each year. So it's possible to make a career out of this..... But not many can do that. The other this is I don't find any of this work. If I had to do a wedding or line up a portrait business, or get business clients...... Ach!!!!! I would hate that. But if you are a hobbiest and taking pics anyway and want a little help getting your equipment.... Hey it's fun and I get paid for it. No work...and an extra $100 a week. And if I stop for a few months.... The money keeps coming in. And if I keep putting more images in.... I will be getting about $200 a week next year and about $400 a week the year after that.... All fun for me!!!