Some little kid soccer

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited October 30, 2012 in Sports
My soccer season is winding down tomorrow. I just have 3 games left to shoot. I think my favorite day this fall was the day with the 5 year-olds. Here are some from that day...

i-GppZvbF-XL.jpg

#2 Keep in mind that they play 3 v 3 at this age. I love how at this age it is all about kicking the ball
i-LHCK7zJ-XL.jpg

#3 Gotta have a tongue sticking out shot...
i-MnZfP9h-XL.jpg

#4 And the hair in the face shot...
i-pQBQtFQ-XL.jpg

#5 Coaching them up...
i-Svd57Z6-XL.jpg

Here are a couple for some slightly older kids..

#6 Who scored and who did not?
i-8LV6gB7-XL.jpg

#7 Ouch. 'nuff said about that...
i-T2fwBRX-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Nice job!!
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    These are perfect. Great exposure and perspective.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • jimqjrjimqjr Registered Users Posts: 250 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Great job. Kidds soccer is a lot of fun.
    What equipment did you use? 2.8 something I'm sure.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Scott293 wrote: »
    Nice job!!
    Thanks Scott.
    These are perfect. Great exposure and perspective.
    :D
    jimqjr wrote: »
    Great job. Kidds soccer is a lot of fun.
    What equipment did you use? 2.8 something I'm sure.
    Everything but #2 were with the D700 + 300 2.8. #2 was with the 70-200.
    Mike J

Facebook
    edited October 29, 2012
    Mike J wrote: »
    Everything but #2 were with the D700 + 300 2.8. #2 was with the 70-200.

Exif data says several were taken with the 70-200/2.8....?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited October 29, 2012
    Exif data says several were taken with the 70-200/2.8....?
    Oops - you're right. #1 and #2 were with the 70-200/2.8.
    Mike J

Facebook
    edited October 29, 2012
    And 6 and 7. :D
    -Jack

edited October 29, 2012
    And 6 and 7. :D
    11doh.gif Ugh...
    Mike J

Facebook
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Very nice indeed! It looks like you were sitting on the ground to get these shots; if so, good call. One of the classic rookie mistakes is to shoot standing up. ANd with little kids, even a short camping stool is too high.
    edited October 29, 2012
    jhefti wrote: »
    Very nice indeed! It looks like you were sitting on the ground to get these shots; if so, good call. One of the classic rookie mistakes is to shoot standing up. ANd with little kids, even a short camping stool is too high.
    Thanks John - I was probably sitting squarely on my butt for the youngest kids and on my knees for the older kids. Getting down on the ground is the 1st thing I tell parents who are shooting nearby that I'm chatting with during the games. It really is amazing the different makes.

When you are shooting the Earthquake games, are you standing with a monopod? By the way, I'm on the wait list for season passes for the Timbers next year. Hopefully they can start winning a few more games...
    Mike J

Facebook
    edited October 30, 2012
    Thanks John - I was probably sitting squarely on my butt for the youngest kids and on my knees for the older kids. Getting down on the ground is the 1st thing I tell parents who are shooting nearby that I'm chatting with during the games. It really is amazing the different makes

Gah!! Never tell them that! Then they won't need to buy your photos! ;)

I've had parents with DSLRs ask me howcome their shots don't look like mine, as I'm sitting or kneeling on the ground. I kid them that it's a secret, and they go back to shooting standing up, lol!

I especially love when I see a parent shooting standing up with a monopod attached to the bottom of their camera body.
    -Jack

edited October 30, 2012

When you are shooting the Earthquake games, are you standing with a monopod? By the way, I'm on the wait list for season passes for the Timbers next year. Hopefully they can start winning a few more games...

I shoot soccer and most other professional sports sitting on a camping stool, with a monopod on my larger lens/body combo. For MLB, I am usually in a well, so the camera is a foot or so above field level. I try never to stand, with a few notable exceptions.

Yeah, the Quakes have had a good year; and it's worth pointing out that they never managed to beat the Timbers this past season. I don't know why, but there it is...
    edited October 30, 2012
    Gah!! Never tell them that! Then they won't need to buy your photos! ;)

I've had parents with DSLRs ask me howcome their shots don't look like mine, as I'm sitting or kneeling on the ground. I kid them that it's a secret, and they go back to shooting standing up, lol!

I especially love when I see a parent shooting standing up with a monopod attached to the bottom of their camera body.

I'm usually pretty good about giving advice, but the most common question I get is what camera I use. I guess I am too modest to explain that, yes, a good camera makes a difference, but user skill is the main ingredient. I usually just respond with the simple statement, 'I shoot with Canon equipment.'

My favorite are the parents with cameras on tripods near the center line, especially if they are sporting a high end piece of equipment (though a point-and-shoot on a tripod is even funnier). I even had one guy replace his camera when his shots weren't as good as mine.