Options

FocusTune by Michael Tapes Design - short review

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited November 4, 2012 in Accessories
Michael Tapes Design just came out with a new micro adjustment lens calibration system. They are the guys who do the LensAlign system.

I like it. I wish it was a little more automated like the Reikan FoCal system BUT. Its not bad and what I like best about it is that it is cheap ($29 or $19 if you have a lensalign system).

I think what I like best is that after you have the computer tell you the best micro adjustment value, then, if you are using the lensalign for your target, you can right away check the DOF on the ruler without moving or changing anything.

So.... I did a blog post with a little more info and references to other posts that I have done on AFMA adjustments AND the FoCal system

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/focustune-by-michael-tapes-design-review/

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 27, 2012
    Thanks Bob. A very well reasoned review. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    I guess I'm just way too ghetto and broke for Michael Tapes products. I'd rather make my own lens calibration system out of foam core for $2.99. Or, my personal favorite, a box of magazines on a nice shag carpet. I too studied engineering, so NO I'm not just sloppy, I know what precision is. I just don't have any $$ most days. :-P

What I'd be interested in seeing as part of a review would be, comparisons of how accurate your results can be with the various different methods. How much more accurate is it? Or is the accuracy the same, but it saves time? That's what I'd like to hear in a review.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Good idea
    I guess I'm just way too ghetto and broke for Michael Tapes products. I'd rather make my own lens calibration system out of foam core for $2.99. Or, my personal favorite, a box of magazines on a nice shag carpet. I too studied engineering, so NO I'm not just sloppy, I know what precision is. I just don't have any $$ most days. :-P

What I'd be interested in seeing as part of a review would be, comparisons of how accurate your results can be with the various different methods. How much more accurate is it? Or is the accuracy the same, but it saves time? That's what I'd like to hear in a review.

=Matt=
    Great idea but more work for me. I did part of that in one of my reviews but not with the new Focustune. BTW if you are an engineer you should be rolling in money. Lots of jobs for engineers out there.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    bobbyk wrote: »
    Great idea but more work for me. I did part of that in one of my reviews but not with the new Focustune. BTW if you are an engineer you should be rolling in money. Lots of jobs for engineers out there.

Studied, not working as. I'm sure I'd be making bank if I had stuck with it, but jeez calculus was killing me. I'm a full-time photographer now. ...So naturally, I haven't spent more than $3,000 on gear in the last ~5 years. ;-)

I read your tutorial / review regarding the other methods for calibration, however the "bootleg" method I'm thinking of doesn't seem to be one of your considerations. Basically, my point is, why not just make your own LensAlign-type device for $3? I'm just curious to see if there is any extra accuracy to be gained, because I am usually able to calibrate my lenses using home-made tools pretty dang precisely, and it doesn't seem to be very tedious / time consuming; it only takes 3-4 minutes per lens. Admittedly, the last 1-2 increments of calibration usually end up all looking the same, so that's why I'm wondering about the precision. Since I do a TON of shooting at extremely shallow apertures in extremely bad light.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum