Release Q for an agency model (Bilsen? Kdog? Nik? Bueller?)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited October 28, 2012 in People
Doing a shoot for 10 student actors tomorrow (arranged through the college's Theatre department).

One of the students is under contract with a modelling agency and said there might be an issue with my standard contract/release (short version: they have full repro rights for their own promo use; I have full repro rights for my own promo use, eg Facebook, blog etc etc).

I've never worked with an under-contract model so this is new territory - anything I should know? Does he need the agency's approval or can I ask him to sign it? Do I need a different kind of release, and does he sign it or does the agency?

Thanks in advance for info so I can handle this in the most professional (and least problematic) way. :thumb

Comments

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    Diva,

To be honest, the problem is all his. Assuming he's over 18, he signs the release and he deals with his agency if necessary. You owe them ZERO unless you got him through the agency.

If he has signed an exclusive with his agency (not all that common among non- superstar models) then it's up to him to get this shoot cleared. If he's non-exclusive then there should be no problem at all since he's allowed to freelance.

The shorter answer is your release is what it is. He can fit into it or you can shoot 9 students.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    YOU.
    ROCK.

Thank you!!!!!! My gut hunch was this was the case - they're paid for by the college on this occasion (ie not the students' own pockets), and since the shots are for THEM and THEY get far more use out of them than I do frankly, it's win-win for him; I just wanted to ask around before making the assumption based on zero experience with agency models before. Frankly, it's not a big deal to me at all except he really is a great-looking kid and if I get any decent shots it would be nice to add them to my portfolio rolleyes1.gif

And now off to shoot pictures before we get shut down by Sandy.................... I'll say this - it's dark out there. So much for my nice natural-light location rolleyes1.gif