Options

Protecting a lens

SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited November 15, 2012 in Accessories
I have seen LensCoat as well as Lens Skins. Are they any other options out there?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 28, 2012
    Here's an article from someone who made their own protective "skins" from carefully cutting inner tubes into sections, and rolling the sections onto the lens.

http://www.apt8h.com/Technical/using-a-bicycle-tube-to-protect-your-camera-lens.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Been using inner tube rubber / 'laggy bands' for years, for all manner of tasks - including lens coats :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/pppix/5456-800.jpg

pp
  • Options
    SkorriSkorri Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Absolute genius guys, thanks. Just picked a shoot in Moscow and St Petersburg and want to disguise/protect my L glass as best I can.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2012
    Skorri wrote: »
    ...and want to disguise/...

Something else I use is self-adhesive plastic film - as used for covering kitchen worktops (cheapo approach) -which comes in all manner of colours / designs incl. camo.

One of the trade names in the uk is 'fablon'

Once applied to the lens itself, you can then add any old rubbish / bits of tat to this 'substrate' - like old floppy disk labels / its of gaffar tape etc to really get it looking messy :)

My 500 has been so treated / 'customised' (altho it was already cosmetically challenged when I bought it used)

Have a good (+safe) trip.

pp
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    And I tought these covers where for camuflage?!
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Something else I use is self-adhesive plastic film - as used for covering kitchen worktops (cheapo approach) -which comes in all manner of colours / designs incl. camo.

One of the trade names in the uk is 'fablon'

Once applied to the lens itself, you can then add any old rubbish / bits of tat to this 'substrate' - like old floppy disk labels / its of gaffar tape etc to really get it looking messy :)

My 500 has been so treated / 'customised' (altho it was already cosmetically challenged when I bought it used)

Have a good (+safe) trip.

pp

After reading this I started thinking about custom made trashy cardboard tubes, old tin cans, twine, a semi smashed box and other bits of junk to wrap cameras and lenses in. Ending effect makes it look like you are shooting with some funky homemade junker of a camera.
    Manfr3d wrote: »

Yeah me too... but I guess another niche is urban camouflage to guard against disreputable humans. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »

Yes - in my case, for the gear I mainly use atm (500 f4) the covers / protectors etc happen to also be mainly green - altho the lens was somewhat cosmetically challenged when I bought it.

jww wrote: »
    After reading this I started thinking about custom made trashy cardboard tubes, old tin cans, twine, a semi smashed box and other bits of junk to wrap cameras and lenses in. Ending effect makes it look like you are shooting with some funky homemade junker of a camera.

Whilst I've not actually done / tried this - at least not for a lens cover - I'd be tempted to try a paper mache one.

Cover the lens with several layers of cling film to produce a male 'master' ... and then make the 'cast' ... split it to remove, seal with varnish or similar ... then cover/finish /daub as you feel fit :)

If done carefully - it could also offer additional weather protection?

pp
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Whilst I've not actually done / tried this - at least not for a lens cover - I'd be tempted to try a paper mache one.

Cover the lens with several layers of cling film to produce a male 'master' ... and then make the 'cast' ... split it to remove, seal with varnish or similar ... then cover/finish /daub as you feel fit :)

If done carefully - it could also offer additional weather protection?

pp

Awesome. lol

I am thinking a contest for best shot with what "least looks like a camera" award. ;)