Options

What to do

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited November 1, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
So I am being hired to shoot a small company Holiday Party (about 35 people) next month. The owner of the company wants to own the raw files besides the jpgs. Whats a good prices to charge. I already am going to be paid 700 dollars to shoot for a few hours and turn in the jpg images for them to print themselves into photo albums.

Please help. The raw file situation is something I know have to bring up to her and a new quote.

Comments

• Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    justin24 wrote: »
    So I am being hired to shoot a small company Holiday Party (about 35 people) next month. The owner of the company wants to own the raw files besides the jpgs. Whats a good prices to charge. I already am going to be paid 700 dollars to shoot for a few hours and turn in the jpg images for them to print themselves into photo albums.

Please help. The raw file situation is something I know have to bring up to her and a new quote.

If it was me? I would just give them to them. you already promised the jpgs with permisson to use them in print so really what is the difference if they have the raw? you have to decide for your self and it sounds like you feel you need to charge a little extra, so if that is how you feel that is probobly what you should do.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    What are the images worth to you? It's not like you can resell them later or use them commercially right? Sounds like $700 for a few hours and some JPGs is a good deal. Give them the files and go make $$ somewhere else.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Why don't you give her the raw files with an unlimited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license to them. That way the images are still yours to use as you see fit. Keep your copyright. She still gets what she wants.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Why don't you give her the raw files with an unlimited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license to them. That way the images are still yours to use as you see fit. Keep your copyright. She still gets what she wants.

15524779-Ti.gifagree Sounds like sound advice ... ... and a win win ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Thank you all for the advice and have decided to give the raw files since I wouldn't have use for them in the future and it's a private event.

Thank you once again.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Nice to read a lot of sound advice instead of the usual " I don't give raw files under any circumstances crap."

Really, what is the client going to do with the raw's they can't do with Jpg's?
    I reckon there is a more than good chance someone said " make sure you get the raw files" and when they do, they won't have the first clue what to do with them anyway.

Good job they didn't ask me for Raw's, I VERY rarely shoot them and I would charge a LOT more if I had to shoot and stuff around with them. :D