Old Hollywood Glamour

photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited October 31, 2012 in People
Goal to revisit the lighting of 1942 and Veronica Lake
Key (2K), Fill (650w) Kicker (650w dimmer) Background (200w) and hair light(150 w), all Fresnels with barn doors. 2/12 stop of screen scrims in the 2K

RDP9770-BW-XL.jpg
Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
Studio Photography Lighting and Modeling Workshops For the Discerning Taste
"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Very nicely done.

Sam
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    This shot is very close, but doesn't quite work for me. I like the hard, old-Hollywood glamor lighting. But the shadows on her arm give it a very odd contour, and the shadow under her cheekbone falls off strangely. The crystal bottle in the foreground is distracting too; it ends up looking like a blob blocking her hand.
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    What more can I say then WoW, very nice work with great styling, MU and photowork...

I can understand Brett for what the bottle and some of the shadows. Have ever taught to use a Cine Noire light style like those shots with Humpry Bogaert ? That might work as well.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • photoshowphotoshow Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Brett, are you familiar with working with Fresnel lighting in the style of the 1930's - 1940's? The lighting pattern contrast and shadow highlight specularity / translucency properties of the style are very much different from modern patterns.
    Bobby Deal - Commercial Photography * Vegas Vision Studios The Pro's choice for studio rental in Las Vegas
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    I know a bit about the old Hollywood look and various lighting styles, and I think you nailed it. However, the crystal bottle has got to go and I would have liked to see the top of her head tilted a bit to camera left and the chin tucked just a bit into the shoulder.

Good stuff! Cheers!
    edited October 30, 2012
    I know a bit about the old Hollywood look and various lighting styles, and I think you nailed it. However, the crystal bottle has got to go and I would have liked to see the top of her head tilted a bit to camera left and the chin tucked just a bit into the shoulder.

Good stuff! Cheers!

Well I will respectfully disagree about the perfume bottle, it is an expected item on a vanity. On my calibrated model there is adequate tonal separation between the bottle and her arm. However I suppose on a monitor that reads darker it might be less clear.

I have to ask why would she tuck her chin while looking in a hand mirror? If anything she would just her chin forward while looking into such a mirror not pull away from it.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    photoshow wrote: »
    Well I will respectfully disagree about the perfume bottle, it is an expected item on a vanity. On my calibrated model there is adequate tonal separation between the bottle and her arm. However I suppose on a monitor that reads darker it might be less clear.

I have to ask why would she tuck her chin while looking in a hand mirror? If anything she would just her chin forward while looking into such a mirror not pull away from it.

The bottle is certainly not out of place in the scene and the tonal separation isn't a problem either. It's the location, in the foreground coupled with its brightness. It continually draws my eye to that portion of the photograph and away from the subjects face.

Now as to the head. There was an unspoken sensuality to much of the old Hollywood work which is somewhat missing here. The head tilt and tuck would have achieved this, at least to me. The straight up and down posture is just not feminine enough for my taste.

The above is my opinion. It is just that, an opinion. Keep in mind, they make all sorts of different cars in all sorts of different colors because tastes vary.
    edited October 31, 2012
    The bottle is certainly not out of place in the scene and the tonal separation isn't a problem either. It's the location, in the foreground coupled with its brightness. It continually draws my eye to that portion of the photograph and away from the subjects face.

Now as to the head. There was an unspoken sensuality to much of the old Hollywood work which is somewhat missing here. The head tilt and tuck would have achieved this, at least to me. The straight up and down posture is just not feminine enough for my taste.

The above is my opinion. It is just that, an opinion. Keep in mind, they make all sorts of different cars in all sorts of different colors because tastes vary.

Fair enough
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    This is excellent. I love the lighting and the conversion.
    edited October 31, 2012
    Mitchell wrote: »
    This is excellent. I love the lighting and the conversion.

Thanks Mitch.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    I really like this image. A lot of the old Hollywood glamour photos portrayed women a strong and I think this pose works in that context. I guess the perfume bottle can be a distraction but honestly, it wasn't the first thing I noticed. I was immediately drawn to her face. Nice job.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Honestly, My eyes went right to her face, then to the mirror. I didn't even notice the bottle lol, never made it down that far, my bad. My eyes went back and forth between those two, rather locked in. I think it is a great image of a time past.