Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
edited October 31, 2012 in Sports
8131106496_91ba50f65f_o.jpg

D7000 w/18-105mm lens at 32mm, ISO 640, f: 7.1, 1/1600

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    is there a relationship between the two individuals? If so, I get it. If not, the onlooker doesn't add to the image and actually distracts from it.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    johng wrote: »
    is there a relationship between the two individuals? If so, I get it. If not, the onlooker doesn't add to the image and actually distracts from it.

To me, the emotional impact was the agonizing look of this poor girl struggling to get through the last 300 meters of a 3.2 mile race and that I feel I captured this quite well regardless of the coach in the background. Sometimes it is impossible to not get onlookers in a shot.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    I see both sides of this one. You certainly captured the woman very well. And her face tells the story. I think the onlooker in the back is something of a distraction because of some choices made in the shot. Namely the very deep DOF since you were shooting at F7.1.

I agree you cannot always control you backgrounds. The secret is to try to minimize them or their impact as much as possible. Shooting this with a bit less DOF would have yielded a more powerful image, and I think that's where johng was going. I know you have some limitations there with your kit lens. I shoot that one too sometimes. Perhaps dropping your ISO a bit would have yielded a bit shallower DOF.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    Couldn't go any lower as I was shooting in a very dense forrested area. This was one of the few I could shoot with any bit of sunlight and I was shooting shutter priority. I am in the process of relearning to shoot panned shots..this one wasn't a pan but most of the others were. I normally shoot with my 28-70 2.8 but I had to hike quite a ways to get to this location and didn't feel like carrying that much weight.

This is from the 28-70 at another meet.

8059914149_4557bf5e7a_b.jpg
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    not only DOF - but it certainly appears that background is clear behind the runner - so the shot taken 10 feet earlier (or 10 feet later) could have captured the emotion without the distraction. Sometimes the environment is great to include but very often extaneous people are not. The second shot posted works much better as the elements included all add to (rather than distract from) the story. In the first shot - the story is the expression but the coach has equal real estate in the photo (and equal sharpness). Part of good sports photography is minimizing distractions. It's unfortunate from your posts here you seem unwilling to accept any constructive criticism and simply want to hear how awesome your photos are. That mentality does not allow you to grow. Your second image here shows you have some good instincts but the first one shows you're not there yet. Hopefully you can open your mind to some thoughts and ideas from other shooters here.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    johng wrote: »
    not only DOF - but it certainly appears that background is clear behind the runner - so the shot taken 10 feet earlier (or 10 feet later) could have captured the emotion without the distraction. Sometimes the environment is great to include but very often extaneous people are not. The second shot posted works much better as the elements included all add to (rather than distract from) the story. In the first shot - the story is the expression but the coach has equal real estate in the photo (and equal sharpness). Part of good sports photography is minimizing distractions. It's unfortunate from your posts here you seem unwilling to accept any constructive criticism and simply want to hear how awesome your photos are. That mentality does not allow you to grow. Your second image here shows you have some good instincts but the first one shows you're not there yet. Hopefully you can open your mind to some thoughts and ideas from other shooters here.

Au contraire to the latter, that is my entire goal. However, I also feel like the artist in any instance should be able to express intent as well. The criticism doesn't bother me one iota. A point you make as to the background being sharper than the foreground is now quite obvious to me though I hadn't seen it earlier. Has you initially stated this and the equality of real estate between the coach and the runner, I would have responded quite differently, but I thought your initial remark was rather condenscending. No worries and all is well. I shall endeavor to continue to learn and certainly be more open-minded.
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    All the great emotion is with the girl, just crop it
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    All the great emotion is with the girl, just crop it

Good idea, but I think it is pretty much beating a dead horse as the image has more flaws than attributes. however, a good learning exercize.

8142216606_69ee203d02_o.jpg