Post-Sandy roll call

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 26, 2012 in People
Bilsen?
Charles (Hackbone)?
Lizzard?

I know you guys were in affected areas. We did ok here; our new roof held, we didn't lose power, and no trees came down on top of anything that mattered. Feeling very lucky today.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 30, 2012
    Glad to hear you're OK.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Great idea Diva. I noticed Andy was in NYC, and from what I have read, some areas are pretty damaged. His last thread was right before multiple transformer failures, so I assume he lost power. If I may, some of us started a thread on another forum, to allow Helen with Adorama and several other companies to check in also. Here's a post Helen made this afternoon.
    I'm safely at home - but I know that we still have no power at the Adorama offices and that our Distribution Center in New Jersey was still closed today.

We have an emergency employee support line which was down this morning but is now up-and-running; we've been promised an update on that later this evening, and I'll be updating on Twitter @HelenOster as soon as I get any news.

Thank you all so much for your good wishes and the messages of support. It truly does mean a lot.
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

http://photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00aynT
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    Andy is OK. They have power and no damage to speak of.

Glad to hear that Helen is OK.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 31, 2012
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Sandy was fairly mild in the DC area. Lots of rain but the winds never got to the scary stage IMO. Lost power for about 21 hours. A few trees down. Schools are open again today. Still waiting to hear more from friends in NY area.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Glad to know you're ok John. Had plenty of friends in NoVa lose power and trees, but nothing too bad.

Hearing from many friends based in NYC that transport is a mess with the subway down, but if you're not at the south end of the island it's "just" trees down etc. Downtown is just a mess though, as has been gracing the front pages of most media around the world. NJ, too- holy cow. Many friends profoundly affected. I was supposed to be up there for an audition on Friday, which has (not surprisingly) been cancelled largely because the people who are holding them can't get into town.

I don't think Lizzard has been posting here that regularly in recent months, but I'd sure love to know she's ok. Bilsen is I think based near the Hudson, so would love to hear from him too. Charles is on the Eastern Shore in MD - I think he's up the bay (rather than on the Atlantic like Ocean City, which was slammed hard), but would still love him to check in!
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    It is pretty ugly around here, but things will be back to normal for most of us soon enough. My studio survived unscathed, though it's pretty much impossible for my clients or me to get there right now. On the other hand, I have one friend -- a videographer -- who lives in Long Island and lost his entire house, including his equipment and unedited jobs. This is one of those terrible reminders to back up your data including all those gorgeous photographs to somewhere offsite.

Hope the rest of you are doing well!
    edited October 31, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    On the other hand, I have one friend -- a videographer -- who lives in Long Island and lost his entire house, including his equipment and unedited jobs. This is one of those terrible reminders to back up your data including all those gorgeous photographs to somewhere offsite.

Terrible. All of it. One word for the business end though: Backblaze
    John :
    edited October 31, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Terrible. All of it. One word for the business end though: Backblaze

Or Crashplan :D
    edited October 31, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Or Crashplan :D

Maybe they should rename themselves Yuckplan and Badsoak.
    John :
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Virginia Beach made it through relatively unscathed compared to past storms (luckily!) We had our share of flooding that wrecked several homes and businesses but nothing that can't be repaired. The life of a beach town.
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks for checking on us Diva.

I came through the storm with some minor tree damage that will need cutting but never lost power. At present, I have a house full of refugees but my wife is happy since the crowd includes my 4 month old granddaughter.

147113933.jpg

Other than that, gasoline is the major problem for us.

All in all, considering what happened to others and continues to happen, we are very fortunate.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    edited November 2, 2012
    Helen with Adorama is reporting they have power and are getting items shipped. Henry Posner with B&H Photo-Video has reported in and is working also.
    This was posted today concerning the Canon facility.
    CPS Notice: Canon USA Repair Facility Without Power in Jamesburg, New Jersey
    From Canon Professional Services:

Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, the Canon USA repair facility in Jamesburg, New Jersey is currently without power and is closed.

If you recently sent a product to the Jamesburg facility and wish to check on the repair status, please enter your Canon Repair Number and ZIP Code into the designated fields at the following Canon USA web site address: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=checkRepairStatus

Recovery operations are underway and we have been informed by the local utility servicing the Jamesburg facility that power should be restored by November 7. However, due to storm-related delays, normal operations and repair turnaround are not expected to resume until November 16. Until that time, please direct any new repair requests to one of the Canon Repair Facilities below:

1. Newport News, Virginia
    Canon Factory Service Center
    12022 Canon Blvd.
    Newport News, VA 23606
    (Mail-In Service Only)

2. Irvine, California
    Canon Factory Service Center
    15955 Alton Parkway
    Irvine, CA 92618
    (Mail-In and Walk-In Service)

When sending in your equipment for repair please ensure the box is marked as CPS Pro Rush Repair to expedite the request.

Assistance is also available to CPS members 24x7 via the CPS Member Hot Line at 1-877-CPS-8122 (1-877-277-8122).

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to return to normal operations in New Jersey as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Canon Professional Services (CPS)
    Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Contact Information for Inquiries
    CPS Toll free; 1-877-CPS-8122
    24 hours 7 days/per week

Equipment loan requests
    cpsloan@cusa.canon.com

Membership
    cpsmember@cits.canon.com

Repairs
    NJ njcpsservice@cusa.canon.com
    CA cacpsservice@cusa.canon.com
    VA vacpsservice@cusa.canon.com
    Source
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=3315

All my thoughts and prayers go out to those effected. I have personal friends that are now on their way to NY to retrieve family members. God speed, and the very best thoughts to all.
    edited November 2, 2012
    I'm even more impressed by Adorama's human kindness than their ability to keep shipping.

Posted on their FB page:

Thank you all for the amazing feedback on our Charging Stations, it was simply common sense being that we are in area with no power but fortunate enough to have resources for generated power, we had to share the power and give back to our neighbors!
    We will be back in the morning at 9:00am till we close for the day and back on Sunday if no power yet in the area.

- Joel (and all at Adorama!)
    edited November 2, 2012
    Very very cool Diva. This is a chance for people to shine and reach out to those around them. They had an hour on the disaster last night on the TV and it warmed my heart to see how many had opened their doors and hearts to those around them, even to those that were strangers before. Neighbors helping neighbors. Including some members here. I may be a 52 year old guy, but my eyes are leaking as I think of what many are having to endure right now. I assure everyone, any act of kindess is most certainly appreciated by those in need, no matter how small or trivial it may seem. I have personally been on the down side of this coin. Prayers sent that way.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Doing ok here. Still recovering from surgery and then an infection. Most of this area is only about 15 ft above sea level so we lost two trees and some shingles and the pool cover. Went without power for 24 hrs. I'm about 60 miles west of Ocean City MD. We were very lucky that it veered north but sorry for the folks there.
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Anyone heard from Liz? Not logged in since 9/18/2012....