What do you shoot in a hurricane?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 3, 2012 in People
HEADSHOTS.

Had 8 mini-shoots scheduled for the acting class at the college where I teach. It was a marathon, but a lot of fun!! These were all taken in ONE hallway at the school. I had:

1 orange wall
1 brick wall
1 cream wall
1 glass brick wall
1 set of glass doors (which provide the backlight in some shots)

One of my goals was to make sure they didn't all look like they'd been taken in the same place; it was much harder work for me that way, but I'm pretty pleased on that score.

I used the 5dII which performed beautifully. *I* was an idiot and forgot to stop down a bit more (still thinking in crop terms - from now on I really MUST stop down to at least 3.2-4.0 unless I'm going for a very specific effect), but the camera really delivered. I'm in love with FF :lust

I'm also finally using my 85mm 1.8 almost all the time - it is the PERFECT portrait lens on FF (I never found that the case on crop). It's a fabulous length with just enough compression; add the fast AF and not-too-high shutter speeds required and it's just stellar. I use the other lenses too, of course, but this shoot was done almost entirely with the 85.

Light was as much natural as I could eke out of the dark sky, reflector, and flash in a 2x3' softbox as needed (= most of the time - it was raining and DARK outside all day as Sandy moved into town, so anything that looks like sun is a clever ruse on my part :rofl)

We didn't lose power yesterday (amazingly) so I managed to put together a "sneak peek" for the kids to tide them over until I can get their sets together. Two different looks for each of them (all my picks - this is their first look at them)

C&C always welcomed!!!

i-hKvhdwm-XL.jpg

Comments

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Glad you're safe and sound. As nasty as it was here on the very outskirts of that storm, I can only imagine how bad it must have been there.

WOW...

That young man in the two shots, upper right corner, has THE LOOK! You captured it perfectly. He really stands out from the rest to me, but most likely because of his personal presence and not because the others are lesser quality.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    I mirror what Bryce said. Glad you are ok Diva. That young man has it for sure. but my eye dropped to that awesome gal below him, some really great classic features. Oh and that glass wall is a winner to me. Great work in a tight situation!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    My man, Ray!! He's the only one I've met before these sessions because he was in the class that I did shots for two years ago. He was a sweetheart then (and very photogenic - he's in my portfolio because I loved his shots last time too), but the growth in confidence and maturity in two years is just wonderful. Things are really cooking for him in that he just got a great job offer he starts soon and is really excited about his future. He is the NICEST kid - a great big, laid-back teddy bear who can switch it on when he needs to. Just love working with him and so happy to hear things are going well for him.

Novice, the gal you like was THE MOST challenging of the session. She's an interesting kid - as you say, classic features, a gorgeous smile, bright and with a really strong personality - but she just didn't present well; definitely a diamond in the rough, as it were. She did a fabulous job on her makeup (I keep seeing Monroe or lattter Judy Garland in that face and eyes), but her hair was an absolute mess and means I'm going to have to work like stink on her final shots to make t, but I have to ask....what part of "no strong patterns" wasn't clear??!?) Here's what I had to work with:

SOOC
    i-92Q2xsv-L.jpg

I preferred the lighter colours in her own shirt, so I did some at the end of the session with it. By then, I'd figured out that the best I could do with her hair was push it out of the way, although I'm not 100% sold on that either. Annoyingly, I had considered taking a curling iron with me on the "just in case" principle, but I'm not a MUA and didn't feel comfortable offering that as a service, as it were (although it would have been very easy to put some waves in her hair, puff it up a little and get a much better, more polished look that went with her excellent - if a little extreme - makeup job)

Here's a before/after on one of those. Took WAY too long to clean it up, which is really frustrating since the problems were her end rather than mine. I think, overall, the gals did a really good job on their own MU and - with this one exception - hair (I'd done a brief session with them on what to do), but it sure is a pain to have to spend so long dealing with the hair in photoshop.....

i-tn5bbsF-L.jpg
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Oh great job Diva, stellar, especially the eye work! I think when she matures more, she will be quite striking. Now that I see her larger, awesome cheek lines as well.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Great planning equals great work. Really nice shots. PS.....it wasn't the camera!!
    edited November 1, 2012
    Thanks, Hackbone - praise from you means a lot!!! I actually love shooting in that space - there's a kind of courtyard/atrium in the middle which has GREAT natural light, but with the storm on its way in it was kind of a moot point because it was so darned dark outside! In the end, I decided to move to the other end of the building so I could use the inside brick wall (my plans for using outside late afternoon sun a non-starter), and the orange wall really turned out to be useful as well - it did gorgeous things for the two African-American kids' skintones and I absolutely love the results.

What was really cute was the reaction of the girl in the upper left corner - she's really lovely, but definitely a curvy girl and when I let her look at some of the better ones on the LCD screen she nearly cried she was so excited to see the results of the "weird positions" I was putting her in :) I was SO GLAD I'd re-watched the section of the Sue Bryce seminar on posing curvy girls, as it game me some great ideas for her. She found it very easy to switch her expression on too, so although I didn't get as many shots of her as some of the others, they're all really GOOD ones.

Hack, most importantly glad you're ok! I know you're out on the Eastern Shore and wasn't sure how you'd fared. Glad to see you posting, since that means you must at least have power over there thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Oh holy night! You sure are getting good. This is a far cry from way back when. Fabulous work!
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks, Heather!!! Face it - lots of what I do I learned from you.... iloveyou.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Happy Birthday Diva! Wishing you a MK3 and 70-200s for your birthday!iloveyou.gif
    edited November 2, 2012
    No MK3 in my immediate future (although I'll be stalking it like a hawk on Black Friday and after Christmas!) but I was earlier told "you can't come home yet" and am now not allowed to look in the fridge. Hmm.... ;)
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Looks good. I do have a nit to pick, but that is why you keep me around. On the closeup of the diamond in the rough SOOC the framing on her bust is odd. I was drawn to the lighter skin compared to the darkness of her face. Then I noticed some unmentionables peeking out as well as an appearance of her trying to squish together. Now I will be the first to admit that my experience with wear to put my arms during shots is horrible, that position seems too "trying to accentuate".

However I am still amazed at what you were able to accomplish with your kit.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited November 3, 2012
    Looks good. I do have a nit to pick, but that is why you keep me around. On the closeup of the diamond in the rough SOOC the framing on her bust is odd. I was drawn to the lighter skin compared to the darkness of her face. Then I noticed some unmentionables peeking out as well as an appearance of her trying to squish together. Now I will be the first to admit that my experience with wear to put my arms during shots is horrible, that position seems too "trying to accentuate".

thumb.gif

That SOOC shot I included isn't one I like - I posted it only to show what I was working with as far as the messy hair etc. It was a poor angle choice of angle on my part too, for all the reasons you mention. Many shots - such as the ones in the collage, in the dark sweater - I posed her with arms away from body and to minimize the bustline. I just wish she had taken my advice on what to wear and taken some time with her hair; she's actually quite lovely, as you all have seen - she just didn't make it easy on me!