Options

MId Eighteen hundreds Grist Mill Indiana

ranran Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited November 2, 2012 in Journeys
A while back, May of 2004, Kay and I were down in southern Indiana touring around and found this old forgotten Grist Mill. It was completely grown up around it and was difficult to capture a good shot because of the growth. I was recently
researching some new information about it and was completely surprised to find out it has been completely restored to its original condition by a billionaire and Friends of Beck's Mill. Check out the story of this old mill on my web site , its very interesting reading .
i-ShhPvPH-M.jpg
Randall -FINE ART : FOR OFFICE AND HOME
branhamphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    The link is to a sale page. No story, no restoration.

Can you fix it please?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    try again its there now . thanks
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    Not seeing it.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    sorry you're having a problem ,here it is a new link it works. thanks
    i-ShhPvPH-M.jpg
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    :cry Cant find it!
    ran wrote: »
    sorry you're having a problem ,here it is a new link it works. thanks
    i-ShhPvPH-M.jpg
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    We see the picture of the mill. However, you reference a story. I don't see that.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2012
    Here's the story,I 'll copy and paste it for you .
    May 2004 caught Kay and I traveling around south central Indiana photographing the country side when we accidentally ran across this old mill. Becks mill is now completely restored by a billionaire and friends of Becks Mill of Indiana, Following are excerpts from their research.
    Beck's Mill's Past...

Before Beck's Mill was settled by the Becks, it was the site of the largest Delaware Indian village in Washington County. There was about a 15 acre clearing of trees around the spring that the Becks later used for their grain mill. (Friends of Beck's Mill has 14 of those acres.)

There were a number of Indian Trails in Washington County that lead to Beck's Mill, from all directions. Some of the roads in the area are based on those trails because the Indians tended to take the shortest/easiest routes. There was also an Indian grave yard somewhere in the clearing where the Beck's grew their first corn crop in 1808.

Once the Indians had left, the area of Beck's Mill became a good place for an early settler to build a cabin. The spring and the clearing meant they could grow some corn the first year they settled.

On December 25th, 1807, George Beck and his two sons John and George Jr, crossed the Ohio river following the Buffalo Trace into the Indiana Territory looking for a new home. They left the rest of the family in Bear Grass Kentucky, now known as Louisville.

On their second day of travel they left the Buffalo Trace and went north where they found a location to their liking and made a temporary brush shelter under a big elm tree in what is now Pierce Township.

In January of 1808 the two boys were out hunting in Howard Township when the brother George found the spring that would later feed Beck's Mill, Cave Spring. They also found Organ Spring. They told their father, he inspected it and promptly decided to make Cave Spring their permanent home.

In the Spring of 1808 they built a one room cabin there and began making plans for a mill. After the cabin had been made comfortable, old George went to work on building the mill while his sons worked at hunting and trapping. In the fall of 1808, old George Beck went to Louisville to get a set of milling stones, trading them for furs his boys had gotten hunting and trapping.

Once the mill was started it ran 24 hours a day with George and the boys taking turns running it. People would travel for hours to get to Beck's Mill, and then have to wait for 2 or 3 days to get their turn. Before Beck's Mill was started people had to travel all the way to Louisville Kentucky to get flour or salt. At one time, Beck's Mill was believed, and may have been, the most western mill in the Indiana Territory. When Beck's Mill was first built, there were no roads in the Indiana Territory west of it because roads had been built just to get to Beck's Mill. Vincennes University was founded in 1806 and the Buffalo Trace was still just a path that was sometimes no wider than 18 inches. Times were hard back then and water meant everything especially a spring that flows all year. This is a rendition of one of my photos taken back in may 04. Thanks Randall
    Comments

|
    branhamphoto.com
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks!