Options

Creative Cloud Question

divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
edited November 1, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all. I am looking for some feedback on subscribing to the Adobe Creative Cloud. I have access to an academic price of $19.99 a month but have to decide by Friday morning. I am currently using LR3 and PS5 so wondering if there would be enough benefit to the cloud route or if I would be better going the product upgrade route.

Thanks in advance for advice/input on this.
Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    It would give you PS6 and LR4, but you could probably get those with your academic discount anyhow. For just those two applications you will have to do the numbers to see if the Creative Cloud would save you any money.

Adobe is now starting to roll out features that are only available in the Creative Cloud versions, but none seem ground breaking and if you are getting by with PS5 now they wouldn't mean much to you.

You might find out you want to branch out into other Adobe applications or services and then the Creative Cloud would be an advantage to you. Check out the list of applications and services that come with the Creative Cloud and see if they would be of use to you.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/tech-specs.html

It is convenient to have the full suite of apps available, but you will have do decide if that is worth the price.
    divmedic4 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am looking for some feedback on subscribing to the Adobe Creative Cloud. I have access to an academic price of $19.99 a month but have to decide by Friday morning. I am currently using LR3 and PS5 so wondering if there would be enough benefit to the cloud route or if I would be better going the product upgrade route.

Thanks in advance for advice/input on this.
  • Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Thank you for the suggestion of running the numbers Dan. For year 1, the price would actually save about $88 and give access to all the toys. The reason I say it like this is because the rate is only good for the first year then goes up to "current market price." If going the cloud route, I would obviously have to keep paying to keep using the products so any savings would be eaten up quickly in the second year unless I started using some of the other software. Also, if any time during the first year the sub is cancelled, you are charged 50% of the remaining length of the 1 year contract. It is looking like the buy option is going to be better for me.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom