Options

Here's an oddball - I need an eyepiece cover carrier

offlineoffline Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2012 in Accessories
I have a Canon 5D MKIII. It comes with the rubber eyepiece cover attached to their strap.

Well, I don't use their strap, but I use the eyepiece cover all of the time.

I'm certain that, one day soon, I'll misplace it and :cry.

I'm looking (ideally) for a means of securing it to the body so I don't lose it and have it around when I need it. Failing that, any substitute that will function similarly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    offline wrote: »
    I have a Canon 5D MKIII. It comes with the rubber eyepiece cover attached to their strap.

Well, I don't use their strap, but I use the eyepiece cover all of the time.

I'm certain that, one day soon, I'll misplace it and :cry.

I'm looking (ideally) for a means of securing it to the body so I don't lose it and have it around when I need it. Failing that, any substitute that will function similarly.

Anyone have any ideas?

What attachment point on the camera body do you plan to use?

Are you using a camera strap at all?

Does it need to be secured and tight to the body or can it flop around?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Couple of thoughts

Tape to prism bulge (in front of hotshoe)
    Double side tape to a bit of card (or thin plastic) that will slide into hotshoe.

pp
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Most any hunting type sporting goods store will have small pouches that can be attached to belts or camera straps...or for that matter use a memory card pouch like the LowePro DMC-Z there is a "net" pouch in the back that can old accessories ... it can then be hooked to your belt or camera strap...will hold 6 CF or several SD type cards ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    offlineoffline Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks
    Good suggestions all around. What I'd really like is for Canon to have included one of the internal slides like on the 1D models.

I contacted Canon and was told "We've always done it like this". I suggested that isn't a valid reason for continuing a poorly engineered practice, and asked the agent to buck my suggestion to the Product Manager.

I use a Cotton Carrier when out in the field, where I do nature photography (mostly).

Thanks again. I've stumbled upon a weak spot in an otherwise fine camera.

Even with your suggestions, everything seems like a kludge.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 3, 2012
    I use a beaded plastic tie through one side of the loop of the eyepiece and then loop through the strap lugs on the top side of the camera body. It is just long enough to make it to the eyepiece. I attach this only if I am doing a night shoot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky