2)
DSC01931-XL.jpg

3)
DSC01929-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    So we have a watch, a waitress walking downstairs, and couple of heads poking
    out over a booth.

Other than that.....?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Very nice, dynamic vision of a few bar moments.

Now, the reasons.

1. I love the idea of the headphones, instruments of isolation, being removed for actual conversation and interaction. A nice testament to getting rid of modernity.

2. I am a tones guy. Contrast, light, yeah. The ring around the right shoe gets me, but that's incidental, lucky too. Looks great. But also, the mood is the thing in this shot. Going down the stairs, holding the food - I can feel the shot, the server, the boredom, the need to be done with the shift.

3. Finally, the end of the night hook up. Having been a bartender, I have witnessed this shot several times and it's nice to see a well executed, way third person perspective, kind of creepy, maybe secretive, and all the way real interpretation of this moment.

And the time movement. 1 - 2 - 3

Awesome triptych.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    For me number 2 is the one that works best. I can see what was intended in 3, but I'm not feeling it...
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    I'm with Juano on this one. I like the images as a series but find the first and last somewhat weaker than the second.
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Thanks guys. Given I know the situation, there's no rational to justify the shots. They need to stand on their own.

What I appreciate about this critique is that it's across the three shots as a set. There shouldn't be discussion of which shot is best. Short form image essays are extremely hard.
  • Options
    jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    So I'll weigh in with my uninformed opinion. From a personal perspective, the best bar stories happen in dark bars (like the way this one is imaged) that are secretive places (apologies to bright and loud fern bars which this is not). The first shot sets this up well, dark with obscure (possibly dangerous, possibly funny) activities on the fringe, but with a shiny object to catch and center interest. The waitress walking down the stairs is the lone(ly) provider of goods & services traveling between customers and bartender, the communication bridge in a way, but another one peripheral but necessary to the action (love her shadow on the wall, by the way, very noir). Finally the story takes shape with an unknown but intimate conversation in the booth.

Or I could be completely wrong. But even so, thanks for story now in my head.