Mini-challenge #153: Black and white in full color - RESULTS

ALXCARALXCAR Big grinsPosts: 27Registered Users Big grins
edited November 27, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all,

First, It has been a pleasure and a good fun to be the host of the Mini-challenge #153: Black and white in full color.

Very well done to all of you.

It was a misunderstanding at the beginning on what to do. this challenge was, for you to have a good eye to see a potential B/W picture on the REAL world.
Black and white pictures are a photography technique, as it could be the X ray photography, Ultraviolet Photography... As well, post production edited photography on computer such HDR, 3D... or on in a dark room. An many other technologies and techniques.
All are "unnatural" pictures. The real world, as the human's eye can see it, is in full colour (of course with the exceptions).

So, the challenge was set up for FULL colour BUT with the appearance of a Black and White picture, with no conversion to B/W.

It has been very hard to decide.
Here are my favourites that all get a nomination

All are beautiful pictures

Again, well done!

Best seconds.jpg
A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk

Comments

  • ALXCARALXCAR Big grins Posts: 27Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    OK, The third Picture for me is:

    Third.jpg

    I love the shadow and the way the cracks in the wall are separating the top to the button.
    A good composition and a good technique.
    A L X C A R

    www.alxcar.co.uk
  • ALXCARALXCAR Big grins Posts: 27Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    The second, is:


    Second.jpg

    This picture took me a wile to see it. The composition is good as it incorporate a spark from the sun and the detail of the monks... and to get all that look B/W... really a very good piece of work.
    A L X C A R

    www.alxcar.co.uk
  • ALXCARALXCAR Big grins Posts: 27Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    Now, The winner... :


    first.jpg


    The reason I have picked this picture, is not for the quality. It goes with the rules of this challenge and is a very difficult shot to do, (I imagine that all happened very quickly),and the clever crop, giving space to the top right to give us the sensation of the aggressor bird is coming fast from above.

    An image that I could imaging framed and in a wall or on the pages of a nature magazine.

    jwear, Very well done.

    Runner up is: billseye

    PS.- the were other better pictures but did not follow with the rules of this challenge.


    Mini-Challenge pointers:
    1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
    2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
    3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
    4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
    5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
    6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
    7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
    8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.
    A L X C A R

    www.alxcar.co.uk
  • jwearjwear learning now shoot & cuss LOS ANGELESPosts: 7,989Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    ALXCAR first I will say thank you and then I was really blown away at who won :ivar .I agree with what you said 100% my shot was not the best but what you said about my shot is why I posted that shot . I did not read all the posts that it should be more 'out of the camera' and no PS . Thank you again for the kind words getting that shot was prefocus and knowing what they were going to do beforre it took place .3 frames in less than a second it was over .

    Alan.

    ALXCAR - Well done, but I think you've not entirely followed the usual "admin" style for these comps ... no worries, but I will PM you with some pointers. jwear ... by the number of posts you've made you look like an "old" hand, if not I would suggest a visit to the comp guidelines which are usually included in the first post opening up a new mini - competition. Have a look at the previous competition to see the guidelines.

    would you please PM me I do not understand what you mean here <img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6029383/emoji/headscratch.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" > I think ALXCAR did a great job of running the challenge not just because I won [that was a nice thing :D] .He was there the whole time voted right away ,no delay, no LAG behind, he did just fine <img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6029383/emoji/thumb.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" >
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Jeff W

    “PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

    http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ALXCARALXCAR Big grins Posts: 27Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    ALXCAR first I will say thank you and then I was really blown away at who won :ivar .I agree with what you said 100% my shot was not the best but what you said about my shot is why I posted that shot . I did not read all the posts that it should be more 'out of the camera' and no PS . Thank you again for the kind words getting that shot was prefocus and knowing what they were going to do beforre it took place .3 frames in less than a second it was over .

    Alan.

    ALXCAR - Well done, but I think you've not entirely followed the usual "admin" style for these comps ... no worries, but I will PM you with some pointers. jwear ... by the number of posts you've made you look like an "old" hand, if not I would suggest a visit to the comp guidelines which are usually included in the first post opening up a new mini - competition. Have a look at the previous competition to see the guidelines.

    would you please PM me I do not understand what you mean here <img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6029383/emoji/headscratch.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" > I think ALXCAR did a great job of running the challenge not just because I won [that was a nice thing :D] .He was there the whole time voted right away ,no delay, no LAG behind, he did just fine <img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/6029383/emoji/thumb.gif&quot; border="0" alt="" >
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

    Jwear,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thank you for replay and you kind words.
    Alan Grin was telling me how to do it properly that’s all. They are some instructions as a host to follow and I didn’t do it how it should be, but I did get it done at the end :) <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I am ready for the next challenge....<o:p></o:p>
    A L X C A R

    www.alxcar.co.uk
  • billseyebillseye Major grins Posts: 847Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Third.jpg

    I love the shadow and the way the cracks in the wall are separating the top to the button.
    A good composition and a good technique.
    ALXCAR wrote: »

    Second.jpg

    This picture took me a wile to see it. The composition is good as it incorporate a spark from the sun and the detail of the monks... and to get all that look B/W... really a very good piece of work.

    ALXCAR,

    Thanks for the nod to my photos for 3rd and 2nd place. It was a unique topic and had me looking at my photos from a new perspective. Might even inspire me to look for this kind of subject more often!

    - Bill
    Bill Banning

    Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • superduckzsuperduckz I got a Nikon camera..... Posts: 377Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    billseye wrote: »
    ALXCAR,

    Might even inspire me to look for this kind of subject more often!

    - Bill


    Just a nod of agreement. This category has stayed with me more than I expected. I've taken a dozen or so really nice shots since it ended that would have worked well. It's an interesting way to compose a shot.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • bfluegiebfluegie Big grins IndianaPosts: 511Registered Users Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    I'm late, but I want to thank ALXCAR for including one of my entries in the honorable mention collage. There were so many good entries I was happy to be included. I agree with the others who said they will be looking for more opportunities for this kind of photography. Great challenge!
    ~~Barbara
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Novice Chuckler Posts: 87Registered Users Big grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Me too (late) to pop in here (but I had a good excuse: a near month's romp around Oz and a tad busy getting robbed at the tail-end of my adventure (see my TravelnLass blog should you care to read the details).

    ANYWAY, good to be back and delighted to see one of mine tucked among the mentionables. Thanks for a most unique challenge ALXCAR. Agreed, no doubt will make us all look at the world around us a bit differently.

    Now then... I'm off to see what mini-challenge #154 is all about...

    Dyanne
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
Sign In or Register to comment.