Options

Proposal: I learned about photography from THAT

Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited November 21, 2005 in Technique
Hey Everyone;

I’d like to throw out a concept that I’d ask you to consider. Would it be beneficial to you and/or the group to have a series known as “I learned about photography from THAT”?

This is a little different than having a “how to” article, but more about “when you’re shooting, this could happen and he’s a way to fix it fast.” Let me explain the concept a little more. Another lifetime ago, I was studying to get my pilot’s license. Various magazines had articles titles “I learned about flying from that” or “Never again”. The idea behind the articles was to explain situations that pilots found themselves in, how they got there and how they resolved them. The goal was to teach the reader how a little SNAFU could get you in a lot of trouble, how to watch for it and how to get yourself out of it.

Granted taking pictures isn’t inherently life threatening, but I’m betting that there are circumstances where posting a “Lessons Learned” to someone could help the community. For example, my recent battle with detaching a lens from the body thread found here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22705

But the topics could range from hardware problems like the one above to getting a written permission so that you could publish a shot. Things that bit you in the butt and if you knew about it before hand, you would have done things differently. Or maybe just the procedure you went through for a shoot and realized that it went south real fast. Now I admit that I don’t pick up many photography magazines and I probably should. So maybe what I’m suggesting is already out there?

We kind of do that at this place now so why not turn it into a series?

So do you think it would be valuable? I welcome your thoughts! :D

Comments

• Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Me being pretty inexperienced, I wouldn't have much to contribute, but I'd certainly be interested in reading it.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I think it is an interesting idea, and would make for a good read. I don't know that I have anything to contribute right now, but maybe reading some will jog my memory.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos