Options

What real Pacific NW Soccer looks like

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited November 20, 2012 in Sports
Well it had to happen. The fall season was blessed with 6 weeks of sun on the weekends and then miserable rain for the next two weeks. These aren't great action shots but are intended to show the conditions. Frankly, I was surprised the boys played. I was just a bit worried about hypothermia. Conditions were right with the rain and temperature but by the end of the game, the sun was almost back out. It was what we call partly sunny here in the NW :D

i-Mph3LLm-XL.jpg

i-DZWpdKF-XL.jpg

i-LBqwrB3-XL.jpg

i-HSVMZkC-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2012
    Good stuff!! Love #3...
    Looks like you might have needed an underwater housing based on that first image....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    pipsterpipster Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Times are a changing. I remember I would get in serious trouble for playing in the rain. You have to love soccer mom's.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Great stuff. Some of my best soccer photos have been in the pouring rain. I've rigged up a large golf umbrella on an old monopod that I loop around my long lens on a monopod to keep me dry.
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Love it. We moved from Portland to Phoenix a few years ago when our kids were in the soccer/little league years. They didn't know how to act playing in the sun, setting up sun shades on side lines and not umbrellas, and parent spectators in shorts and sandals. Nice shots, stay dry!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Ha! Nice! 300/2.8 - jealous!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Good stuff!! Love #3...
    Looks like you might have needed an underwater housing based on that first image....
    I was nice and dry under a huge sports umbrella my wife bought for me at the end of last season. I did not venture out from underneath until the rain slowed down...
    pipster wrote: »
    Times are a changing. I remember I would get in serious trouble for playing in the rain. You have to love soccer mom's.
    I hear what you are saying. The kids survive but these poor fields just get beat up
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Great stuff. Some of my best soccer photos have been in the pouring rain. I've rigged up a large golf umbrella on an old monopod that I loop around my long lens on a monopod to keep me dry.
    Thanks Mitchell.
    Love it. We moved from Portland to Phoenix a few years ago when our kids were in the soccer/little league years. They didn't know how to act playing in the sun, setting up sun shades on side lines and not umbrellas, and parent spectators in shorts and sandals. Nice shots, stay dry!
    Funny. Reminds of a local HS baseball team that traveled to AZ to play in a spring tournament. The defense committed all kinds of errors. When the local papers asked the coach about it, he said the kids weren't used to the faster (read dry) surface of the fields in AZ.
    Ha! Nice! 300/2.8 - jealous!
    Rented... :cry
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    Great shots. My sons home field up near Seattle had large puddles a few weeks ago. I found myself obsessed to get a good splash shot and missed most of the game.
  • Options
    pandaghostpandaghost Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2012
    love #3.... good moment!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2012
    Paintguy wrote: »
    Great shots. My sons home field up near Seattle had large puddles a few weeks ago. I found myself obsessed to get a good splash shot and missed most of the game.
    rolleyes1.gif We had one of the goalies dive for a save and land in the mud puddle in front of the goal. Required a change of jerseys after that..
    pandaghost wrote: »
    love #3.... good moment!
    Thanks pandaghost.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Great set Mike!
    #1 really tells a story!
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Not much action, but one of my favorite rainy soccer shots is this: p452510050-5.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited November 20, 2012
    Nice images.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?