Options

Old Barns II

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited November 14, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
These old barns stay in use until they finally collapse....

linville%20022-X2.jpg

....this one, however, is still going pretty strong, even though it is 134 years old.

linville%20027-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Great old barn shots, but as a Rust Junkie Fiend you've gotta get in close there and shoot that lower right panel on the barb, behind that birch tree! :Dthumb.gif

deal.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    These old barns stay in use until they finally collapse....

Kind of like the rest of us, huh? :D

Nice shots Tom, you find the best old barns - rare items out here in the west.
    Is that the Tin Man in #2?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Great old barn shots, but as a Rust Junkie Fiend you've gotta get in close there and shoot that lower right panel on the barb, behind that birch tree! :Dthumb.gif

deal.gif

Don

I swear, Don, I was headed over there to get the shot you're talking about when something BIG slithered under the barn. I quickly changed directions.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Kind of like the rest of us, huh? :D

Nice shots Tom, you find the best old barns - rare items out here in the west.
    Is that the Tin Man in #2?

Boy, Eric, you've got the eye of an eagle. That is, indeed, the Tin Man perched on the front of the old wagon. This is the only time I've seen it there.

Tom
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    I swear, Don, I was headed over there to get the shot you're talking about when something BIG slithered under the barn. I quickly changed directions.

Tom

If it was your namesake, I guess I don't blame you. Just the same, would have been delectable, I'm sure! :D

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012

Tom

Slithering now huh rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifMade my morning ... thank you. As for the barn photos .. great thumb.gif I noticed that the first barn has the number 1695 .. address???
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Slithering now huh rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifMade my morning ... thank you. As for the barn photos .. great thumb.gif I noticed that the first barn has the number 1695 .. address???

I tell you, Mary, this barn shooting is getting right risky. What the heck is going to happen to me next...an elephant attack? I suppose the number 1695 is indeed the address.

I hope you and John are doing OK.

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    As you know Tom, I love old barns too. But what I like better here, is your ability to capture great detail and wonderful colors, as usual thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2012
    rwells wrote: »
    As you know Tom, I love old barns too. But what I like better here, is your ability to capture great detail and wonderful colors, as usual thumb.gif

Thanks, pard, for the kind words.

I can't help but wonder about the history of each of the old barns I photograph. The sad truth is that many of these old structures are being razed these days by builder/decorators who are after the old barn wood for its aesthetics. Several of my favorites are already gone and more are sure to follow.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    Hi Tom, I really enjoy seeing your barn shots as well. I guess it's a balance between letting them decay and fall down - or recycling the timber before they fall down - but once they're gone - that's it - apart from your portfolio :D

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    I'll stop and photograph an old barn or building anytime.

You've done a good job capturing the detail, but I wonder if this
    might look better if the saturation was brought down and the grass
    and the barn roof darkened. The scene's so bright that the "old and
    decayed" aspect is almost lost. This might even work in sepia.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, I really enjoy seeing your barn shots as well. I guess it's a balance between letting them decay and fall down - or recycling the timber before they fall down - but once they're gone - that's it - apart from your portfolio :D

Cheers, Richard.

You know, Richard, the issue I ponder the most is this: why, if the old barn is useful enough to keep employing it, do they not do a better job of maintaining it and extending its life?

It's great to hear from you.

Tom
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I'll stop and photograph an old barn or building anytime.

You've done a good job capturing the detail, but I wonder if this
    might look better if the saturation was brought down and the grass
    and the barn roof darkened. The scene's so bright that the "old and
    decayed" aspect is almost lost. This might even work in sepia.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Tony.

I shoot these kind of scenes using, almost always, a circular polarizer. As you know, that tends to bump saturation a little but , more importantly to me, it helps a lot in controlling all the glare and reflections that bounce around in scenes like these. I have very little interest in employing any PP techniques to alter my shots. I'll try my best to get it right coming straight from the camera but, beyond that, I pretty much don't mess with things.

Tom
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, Tony.

I shoot these kind of scenes using, almost always, a circular polarizer. As you know, that tends to bump saturation a little but , more importantly to me, it helps a lot in controlling all the glare and reflections that bounce around in scenes like these. I have very little interest in employing any PP techniques to alter my shots. I'll try my best to get it right coming straight from the camera but, beyond that, I pretty much don't mess with things.

Tom

I didn't know that....about you usually eschewing any post-processing. I'm so used to
    everyone running their photos through PS or some other program that I guess I thought
    everyone did.

The circular polarizer has always defeated me even though I know how valuable they
    can be. I don't know whether I have one that's not very good, or if I just can't get
    the hang of it.

I just returned from a trip to the store during which I spotted a 1936 Ford Woody. It's
    around 1:30 PM and the Florida sun is ruthless. I didn't even try my CP but, if I knew
    how to use it, it would have made for a better photograph.

Sunday is the Winter Park Concours d’Elegance, and I'm sure I'll regret not being able
    to master the CP after I see my shots from there.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I didn't know that....about you usually eschewing any post-processing. I'm so used to
    everyone running their photos through PS or some other program that I guess I thought
    everyone did.

The circular polarizer has always defeated me even though I know how valuable they
    can be. I don't know whether I have one that's not very good, or if I just can't get
    the hang of it.

I just returned from a trip to the store during which I spotted a 1936 Ford Woody. It's
    around 1:30 PM and the Florida sun is ruthless. I didn't even try my CP but, if I knew
    how to use it, it would have made for a better photograph.

Sunday is the Winter Park Concours d’Elegance, and I'm sure I'll regret not being able
    to master the CP after I see my shots from there.

I think, Tony, that you and I talked about this before....I wouldn't swear to it though. I can't imagine shooting a car show without the polarizer. If there was ever an environment that demanded the use of the CP, it's a car show; the glare and reflections there will eat you alive.

The good news is that the CP is so easy to use. The effect of the CP is most noticeable when shooting at a 90 degree angle to the sun. As you shoot more directly into the sun, or away from it, you will notice the CP's effect falling off.

The best news of all, though, is that the CP will actually tell you when it is being the most effective. Focus on the subject, look through the viewfinder, and slowly rotate the CP. You can easily tell when the scene darkens some and the glare and reflections are minimized. If you don't want the full effect of the CP, just rotate it some more until you get the effect you do want. Fool around with it some before the car show. You'll be amazed how much better your shots will look.

I've been to that car show before....too frustrating for me as the cars are positioned so closely together. You're practically limited to doing nothing but abstract shots. I hope you get some good ones.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Ah, another beautiful old barn. There are so many of these crumbling barns in Maine also, but I rarely shoot them because they are usually right next to someone's house. Besides, your shots are so good that I'd be disappointed in mine. I like that these two barns have similar structures, but one has a motor-driven vehicle and the other has a horse-drawn one. They make good companion pieces.

You were once going to be given an old sign or a door or something from one of these barns. Did you ever get it?

Great stuff, Tom--
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    redleash wrote: »
    Ah, another beautiful old barn. There are so many of these crumbling barns in Maine also, but I rarely shoot them because they are usually right next to someone's house. Besides, your shots are so good that I'd be disappointed in mine. I like that these two barns have similar structures, but one has a motor-driven vehicle and the other has a horse-drawn one. They make good companion pieces.

You were once going to be given an old sign or a door or something from one of these barns. Did you ever get it?

Great stuff, Tom--
    Lauren

Come on now, Lauren. I've been waiting for some of your Maine stuff....how about it?

The barn with the tractor is a baby compared to the other one, which, as I mention, is 134 years old. Yet the older one is in far better shape.

Yes, I did get my piece of that old barn I always traveled by. In the picture below, I was given the top half of the door on the right....the one with the window and the sign on it, which says " Eat More Possum " I will prominantly display that piece somewhere in my new mountain house....the construction of which, incidentaly, is still on hold until I see how bad the coming recession will be.

Take care,

Tom

mountains7-8-11%2002-X2.jpg