Options

Looking to upgrade

curtisberleuecurtisberleue Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2012 in Cameras
Currently I have a Nikon d60 that really needs replacing. The body itself is quite limited, not to mention the fact that its over 3 years old, has many pixels out, etc.

First let me state that I want to stay with Nikon.

Now, what would everyone recommend? I thought I had it narrowed down to the D200 or D300, but looking at reviews and pricing, it seems like the d7000 is the way to go, both quality and price wise.... I feel like thats to good to be true though.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited November 3, 2012
    It's always helpful to know how you plan to use the camera?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    curtisberleuecurtisberleue Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2012
    Mostly motorsports photography.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Unless you are really in need of the robustness and pro features of the D300, I'd certainly suggest the D7000 would make you very happy. I know a number of people shooting fast-paced sports with D7000s. Yes, the D300 and D300s have higher frame rates, but the D7000 has slightly more pixels to work with, and much better high-ISO performance. If you have large hands though, you'll like the D300s. I find the D7000 a bit small.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Unless you are really in need of the robustness and pro features of the D300, I'd certainly suggest the D7000 would make you very happy. I know a number of people shooting fast-paced sports with D7000s. Yes, the D300 and D300s have higher frame rates, but the D7000 has slightly more pixels to work with, and much better high-ISO performance. If you have large hands though, you'll like the D300s. I find the D7000 a bit small.

I totally 15524779-Ti.gif and I think of robustness as in sealing of the body also and since I am outdoors
    so much I went D300 over the lower end offerings when I got mine......now they will be hitting the sales block real soon to help finance the next FF Pro body ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    For action sports, I hate to recommend anything less than a flagship autofocus system. The D300s will probably give you the most satisfaction as far as that is concerned. Or, honestly your absolute best bet in my opinion, a used D700. Get yourself a D700 plus a vertical grip with AA's, and you're rocking 8 FPS and one of the absolute best autofocusing cameras on the market. Anything less would just be an "in-between" camera.

Your other option would be to wait and see if a DX D400 materializes, which would basically (theoretically) be a DX version of the D800, with maybe (hopefully) D700-like high ISO performance up to 3200. (Which is more than enough for me!) ...However, I'm not hopeful for a DX D400 any time soon. And even if it did come, it'd cost about the same as a used D700. Which you should just get anyways, as long as you're not interested in video.

Good luck deciding!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Matt, your recommendation of a used D700 is a big budget choice for the OP, I think. Whole different world of lens applicability.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Matt, your recommendation of a used D700 is a big budget choice for the OP, I think. Whole different world of lens applicability.

Absolutely true. Full-frame and/or the D700 are a huge jump. It took me many, many years to save up for mine, even buying a well-used one.

And to be honest, with the age of the D700, and the limited video etc. features, it's probably still an equal amount of time to the next upgrade compared to getting a D7000 or D300s instead. I'd give any of those three cameras a 2-3 year satisfaction-span. Although the D700 would win for actual lifespan...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum