D300S, 50mm 1.4D,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Seriously nice.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    overall it is very nice image. I love the tones and setup but a few things don't seem quite right. You have a lantern in the shot but the light on her face is completely flat..there is no falloff. Also the hair is getting lost in the background. Finally, the choice of props.. the leopard skin rug just doesn't "fit" int h e shot as well as the wall paper, and tiny goblet with the blue liquid.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Hmm, I thought it was pretty nice till I read Daniel's comment. I concur with most of what was mentioned but yes the light on her face should reflect what the lantern is radiating as far as the light goes on her face.
    Does that make sense?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Both of these images are very nice!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Agree with Qarik's comments. I'm a tall guy so the camera angle seems low to me.
  • Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    very nice!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    overall it is very nice image. I love the tones and setup but a few things don't seem quite right. You have a lantern in the shot but the light on her face is completely flat..there is no falloff. Also the hair is getting lost in the background. Finally, the choice of props.. the leopard skin rug just doesn't "fit" int h e shot as well as the wall paper, and tiny goblet with the blue liquid.

+1. This shot screams for Rembrandt lighting, but there is none. I want it to look like all the light is coming from the lamp, but that's obviously not true.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    what is going on here?
    Something is off. the subject is nicely lit except for the flat light on her face - but it's not what's throwing me off.
    Personally, the background looks flat. It looks like something that was assembled in photoshop out of a bunch of different pictures and then just dropped in behind your subject. I'm not sure how you'd go about creating a sense of depth, but maybe some more interactive props would help - lay an arm on a desk with a lamp closer, or something along those lines.
    red_zone wrote: »
    what is going on here?
    Something is off. the subject is nicely lit except for the flat light on her face - but it's not what's throwing me off.
    Personally, the background looks flat. It looks like something that was assembled in photoshop out of a bunch of different pictures and then just dropped in behind your subject. I'm not sure how you'd go about creating a sense of depth, but maybe some more interactive props would help - lay an arm on a desk with a lamp closer, or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input, this is not a composite picture.
    I will see what I can do about the light, but I get your point.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • dannypadannypa Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 14, 2012
    I don't agree with Qarik any more
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I do agree with Qarik - I mean shot is very nice - just tones on the face is really flat. maybe to much of smoothing tool in PS /on the face/
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    but now I think that in past ladies had kind of 'flat faces' - they didnt like sun burn - so maybe now .... disadvantage became an advantage ... ? :)
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Aside from the lighting points mentioned so far, i find it odd that you'd compose the shot having a dark and light background bisecting her head.
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    All this technical stuff aside, fess up....you're going to be posting the shot from behind soon, and that's when we get the more "controversial" view. ;-)