Options

Plitvice Lake Croatia

Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
I will be going in June. Other than the obvious, what is not to be missed? Is it sufficient to walk around for photographing, or should I take the train, boats, rent a bike (do they rent them)? What's the best approach here?
You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Sorry I have no idea about Croatia ... ...but this might help - Trip Advisor - Lake Plitvice bike rentals ... car rentals ... vacation rentals ... ... Lake Plitvice National Park Google results ...

Hope it is a great adventure ... the ex pats forums can have a wealth of info with the right members answering, some expats just do not want to help out and get rather mouthy but be kind and courteous and the helpful members will start chiming in ... I ran into this on a few expat forums but just said thank you and waited all of a sudden I had offers to grab a beer or show me areas i was asking about .... ... ...

the Frommers and Fodors Guides are good also ... for my trip to the Czech Republic I even ordered a foldable road map and an Atlas in book form ... they are great helpers to start early planning, might search Amazon for "weird" Travel guides ... I do not remember the company that was putting out guides to places and things the average joe tourist would not have a clue about, like things off the beaten path ... or just strange ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 7, 2012
    Thanks, Art.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    Sorry I could not be more help...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    zhbutszhbuts Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2013
    I have been a couple of times to Plitvice. The place is amazing. Prepare for long walks around the lakes. Most of the really interesting terrain is not bike-friendly - wooden bridges and stairs along and across the water, hill paths etc. There are however places that you can bike as well. Either way it is a most enjoyable spot.
    You should prepare for showers - the microclimate is quite specific and sunny days are not that common. The first time I went there, it was raining all day long with varying intensity and I took one of my best shots during the heaviest rain.

Greetings,

Alex
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    Plitvice Lake Croatia
    Howard,

Plitvice Lake is an amazing place.

Alex summed it up best.

I would recommend allowing for an entire day as the sun (if present) will present you with many wonderful options for photos. Clouded overcast sky should not be a show stopper, as Alex points out, a cloudy sky adds to the locale and different take on the scenery.

Here's a shot I took while walking in the park. I was alone, sans crowds, for almost the entire day I visited. If possible, go mid-week and avoid most of the crowds.

You will have a great time!
  • Options
    zhbutszhbuts Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2013
    Here are a couple from me too.

DSC_6640small.jpg

DSC_6581small.jpg

Greetings,
    Alex
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2013
    Well, heck. We didn't get to go to Plitvice, after all. Remember the earthquake they had in Italy? It closed the ferry landing we were to use. Had to go south, to Bari, to cross. So, we spent a week in Dubrovnik. The drive to the lakes was too far to make a day trip. But, never fear, we are going this June.
  • Options
    EverythingEverywhereEverythingEverywhere Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I was in Plitvice in early April of this year and got caught in a freak spring snowstorm.

GMA_0006-L.jpg

GMA_9969-L.jpg
    2014 Travel Photographer of the Year, Society of American Travel Writers
    2013 & 2015 Travel Photographer of the Year, North American Travel Journalists Association

Facebook | Travel Blog | Travel Photography | Instagram | Google+