Fall Family Photos

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited November 13, 2012 in People
So... My wife has a friend at work that wanted fall family photos, so I thought I'd have a go at something a bit different.

Opinions? As usual I have mixed emotions about it. Is this a complete miss?

i-HwqLjQJ-XL.jpg
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    I like it alot, very creative and well executed!
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    Thanks a bunch Royce. I'm glad you liked it. I'm hoping that they like it. I'm always a bit paranoid prior to delivering proofs. There are a couple of minor "problems" with it and I'm kinda wondering whether anyone else will notice them.
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    There are a couple of minor "problems" with it and I'm kinda wondering whether anyone else will notice them.

Are you referring to the top girl being lit from the wrong side and the lack of falling sense to the girls hair and clothes? I'm wondering if you could have accomplished that feeling by having them stand with their backs to a fan. Thus blowing their hair and clothes to a "falling" sense headscratch.gif

Otherwise cool concept!! thumb.gif
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 4, 2012
    As photographers, WE see the defects in some shots. If we look at this shot for what it was meant to be, a fun family photo, I think we could overlook a couple minor problems. I'd bet the family in the shot loves it!
    Good job!
    edited November 4, 2012
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    Are you referring to the top girl being lit from the wrong side and the lack of falling sense to the girls hair and clothes?

Yup that would be it, exactly...

I'm still in that stage of photography where I am attempting to "fix" things in Photoshop instead of just "finishing" them. Whenever I get back home from shooting, I think to myself "Crap! If I had just remembered to..." It didn't help that a forest service ranger was hassling us about whether or not it was a "commercial" shoot and then watching us from across the street.
    edited November 4, 2012
    captain78 wrote: »
    As photographers, WE see the defects in some shots. If we look at this shot for what it was meant to be, a fun family photo, I think we could overlook a couple minor problems. I'd bet the family in the shot loves it!
    Good job!

I agree. I just figure if the nits are reletively minor here, then the family might not notice at all. :D Here are a couple more with that family.

1)
    i-5XM83JQ-XL.jpg

2)
    i-54Fb4RL-XL.jpg

3)
    i-vDW4qDT-XL.jpg

4)
    i-sRhCffR-XL.jpg
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    WoW, that is a real fun shot (1). Very well done , it is good, t is funny just what a picture should be.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    You get an A++ for originality and the "normal" portraits are great as well.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2012
    Great for a Christmas Card!
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012

Google Jason Lee for really cool creative shots.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    All are very nice, great job on being playful on the first one. I could put that one up of my family.
    edited November 6, 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys! Should deliver proofs tomorrow.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    Good stuff from start to finish!

They will love them. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Yup that would be it, exactly...

I'm still in that stage of photography where I am attempting to "fix" things in Photoshop instead of just "finishing" them. Whenever I get back home from shooting, I think to myself "Crap! If I had just remembered to..." It didn't help that a forest service ranger was hassling us about whether or not it was a "commercial" shoot and then watching us from across the street.
    Just wanted to add That i wasn't being critical of the shot. You had mentioned some small flaws and I was more testing myself than the shot.
    I like the concept and execution!!
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
    edited November 7, 2012
    Just wanted to add That i wasn't being critical of the shot. You had mentioned some small flaws and I was more testing myself than the shot.
    I like the concept and execution!!

Don't feel bad at all. That is exactly what I wanted - criticism of the constructive sort and identification of areas to improve as well as possible ways to do it. If all I wanted was unwarranted praise, well I have plenty of family and friends who don't know anything about photography for that. :D

Thanks again for the comments. clap.gif
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    I love that first shot! Just out of curiosity, how did you achieve it? Great stuff.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited November 10, 2012
    I love that first shot! Just out of curiosity, how did you achieve it? Great stuff.

My wife and I, a family of four, two speed lights, two light stands, a tripod, and four photos composited. The mom and dad posed looking surprised and like he was going to catch them in photo 1. In photo 2 the family of four and my wife threw a bunch of leafs we had collected into the air. Photos 3 and 4 were the girls laying one at a time across a small bar stool we brought to the shoot. The key was camera left and and the second light was a kicker behind. Both girls were facing the same way on the barstool which is why the top one looks lit from the wrong side as I flipped the photo later since I thought if fit better. It was lots of fun to do and I think I learned a few things for next time. Hope that helps...
    edited November 11, 2012
    The family saw the proofs are are very happy! We have 3 more jobs lined up as a result of this family showing the photos to their friends, and that of course makes me happy. wings.gif

Tonight, I've been playing with some of the shots we took while dialing the lights in when people were relaxed, as these weren't "real" photos. Made this poster as kinda a goof. Thinking of sending it on over to the family...

Opinions?

1)
    i-PkfwTjV-X3.jpg
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    love the plying shot :) well done
    edited November 13, 2012
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    love the plying shot :) well done

i-PkfwTjV-X3.jpg

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I sent it over to the family and they loved it! They said it made them laugh for hours. :D