FS: The most amazing wireless DSLR remote control, now comes in black!

Bill the DuckBill the Duck Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited March 14, 2013 in Flea Market
Hi folks! Boy have I got a sweet deal for you!

First, a disclaimer: I asked permission to post this. So :P

Another disclaimer: Yeah, I'm a fresh n00b here, but I'm a 10,000+ posts member (and regular donor) at AdvRider and user of SmugMug since 2003, so don't make me pull the Baldy card. :bluduh

Anywho, here's the deal. My friend John Cottrell designed and built a tiny little advanced wireless remote control device for DSLRs that we've called fotomote, and I wrote the smartphone apps to control it (Disclosure: the iPhone app is still in development*, the Android app is fully functional, needing just a few tweaks to be ready for the Play store.) The key advantages of fotomote are:
  • fotomote is wireless! Your phone is still a phone. You can still take calls and listen to music while a long time lapse series or any other extended photo shoot is going on. The fotomote device will continue to execute its time lapse program independently, and when you go back to the app you'll see the actual progress as if you never left.
  • fotomote uses Bluetooth! No need for WiFi access, and while point-to-point WiFi is possible, it's another limiting thing since it would disconnect you from any other WiFi and suck down battery life.
  • fotomote is open Source/Hardware! If you're like John and I who like to fix things that aren't broken :huh, the open source and hardware of fotomote lets you to modify the app or add sensors and other electronics to the device itself.
I know, I know. Too cool, right? We get that a lot.:rolleyes But here's where we're at today. We have a fully functional prototype and smartphone app, and we want to make this a full-fledged commercial product. If it goes well, we intend to build a small company around it.

But we need just a tiny little bit of help.

You may or may not be familiar with Kickstarter? It's a place where young (or not) aspiring entrepreneurs can go to beg for money, er, provide a low-cost value proposition to potential backers. We're trending upward, but need to ramp things up a bit. Please visit our Kickstarter page for more information on fotomote and to see how you can get in on the ground floor! Also, check out www.fotomote.com to find out more about fotomote and see some examples of what it can do! (Please keep in mind that if we don't reach our goal you won't get charged, so there's no downside risk! )

Thank you very much in advance for your help! Here's are a couple of sexy pics, since this is, after all, a photography website:

a3daff61ddd3db8178db5c43f897ef04_large.jpg?1349882114
That's prototype version three, the final product will be smaller than that.

Design1_small.jpg
A much earlier prototype, this is what I used for testing when developing the Android app. The final product will be surface mount printed circuit board.

*A quick word about iPhones and Bluetooth for the cognoscenti: Yes, Apple, in their infinite wisdom, locked up the standard Bluetooth SPP protocol inside their MFi (Made For iStuff) program, and we're aware of the hassles and expense involved with getting a device approved through MFi. We've solved that problem by using BTLE (aka Bluetooth Low Energy, BLE, or BT4.0), which Apple implemented starting with the iPhone 4S left open to developers. We have a working comms prototype. :D See also: "Kobyashi Maru".

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited November 6, 2012
    Welcome to dgrin!

Nice to see you've developed a wireless model. My only question is do you have plans to make this work with iPhone 4's?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Bill the DuckBill the Duck Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Welcome to dgrin!

Nice to see you've developed a wireless model. My only question is do you have plans to make this work with iPhone 4's?

The iPhone 4 doesn't have Bluetooth 4.0 (low energy), so to make fotomote work with it would require:

1. Paying Apple to approve our app via the Made For iThingy program.
    2. Adding the Apple-required crypto-authentication chip to the fotomote device (adds cost, size and power consumption).

It's a $$$ issue for us. If we see fotomote take off and the potential market (total pre-4S iPhones currently in use) is still significant, we would certainly add support. We're looking at Windows Mobile in the same way.

But the thought occurs to me that this might not be the best answer for you. If you're looking for that one additional reason to upgrade to an iPhone 5 then no, iPhones before the 4S are not supported. :D
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2012
    But the thought occurs to me that this might not be the best answer for you. If you're looking for that one additional reason to upgrade to an iPhone 5 then no, iPhones before the 4S are not supported. :D

Now, that's funny! rolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BayouChileheadBayouChilehead Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2013
    How are things going with your device? This is something I would definitely like to have!! Any info on what the cost will be when available?

Thanks,

Chet