Jeff

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited November 13, 2012 in People
I did a favour for a friend and shot a series of portraits. The target was a headshot he could use on his professional website as a Psychologist. Here are three from the set.

1)
DSC_1491-XL.jpg

2)
DSC_1443-XL.jpg

3)
DSC_1441%20-%20Version%202-XL.jpg

Just to say, the second was really just a bit of fun.

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    I would rather see my professional with more of a smile and one where his face stands out more. In the second one you did a great job on the lighting and the face really pops but needs to look at the camera with a pleasing expression.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    I like 2 and 3 but they remind me more of "lifestyle" type shots...just a bit too casual. I'd do head and shoulder shot with him standing aginast some kind of neutralish background. Don't get too cute with the processing either.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    1 is a bit flat. Lighting would have worked nice here to bring out his eyes.

2 is solid. Great use of natural light.

3 is my favorite of the series. However, I would have liked to see a smile in there. Also be careful of shallow DOF, as his hands are a bit out of focus.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciated.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    I love #2!!!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    I'm with Diva. #2 is really good. You missed focus on 1 and 3. Face is soft and coat is sharp.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited November 12, 2012
    We both preferred #2 as well. I agree with there being focus issues on the other two. Based on this particular outing and a few other incidences, I realised my D800 had a pretty severe back focusing problem. Not unexpectedly, it was most apparent when I was shooting wide open. I've slowly been tuning things and think I've finally gotten the right adjustments dialled in.
    edited November 12, 2012
    Meg, that was mentioned by another person up thread. Just to let you know, he knew my shooting style and we discussed the approach and background. There were several with more neutral backgrounds and some that were more dynamic. These were the ones he liked. We also discussed whether to be smiling or more direct. He has a really cute smile, sorta like a chipmunk. Didn't seem appropriate.
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    Yeaaaah.... #2 is downright beautiful. Great use of complementary colors.