Options

Student version of PS CS6

reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited December 1, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone know if the student/teacher version of Photoshop CS6 is any different from the regular version?
I need to purchase PS (upgrading from Elements) and I do qualify but I'm unclear if it is the same or not. And if not, is it still worth it to save the money?

Thanks for any input on this -

Reyna

Comments

• Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    This page (found in a quick google search) seems quite helpful - the few minor differences mentioned have nothing to do with functionality:

http://prodesigntools.com/difference-between-adobe-cs5-student-editions-vs-regular.html

I use the education version of CS5.5 myself and have encountered no restrictions whatsoever. As I also use Illustrator for my publicity materials/watermarks etc., I got one of the Creative Suite education bundles which were selling for around the same or less than {PS + Illustrator} alone. Definitely the education versions in my opinion if you're sticking with Adobe.

Best regards,

Yangchen
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    100% the same (I own it, so I know this for a certain fact). You do have to provide educational institution verification in one of the forms they accept (an email addres, a school/college ID, a paystub etc etc)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    There is a slight difference between the Creative Cloud versions and purchased version of Adobe products now, including Photoshop. Adobe is adding new features to the Creative Cloud versions of its products over time, but those new features will not appear in the purchased version until the next major release the product.

Depending on your needs that might not be all that important of an advantage, but the creative cloud has an edu discount too.

Also I think you cannot upgrade the edu version, you have to buy the next version... but the edu version is still a good deal if it is available to you.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/stay-a-step-ahead.html

"More upgrades and features
    The tools you use today will just keep getting better, and with your Creative Cloud membership, you don't have to wait for the latest advances. Not only do you get access to every planned upgrade upon release, but we'll also be improving our software with new features that are available only to Creative Cloud members between major releases."

Does anyone know if the student/teacher version of Photoshop CS6 is any different from the regular version?
    I need to purchase PS (upgrading from Elements) and I do qualify but I'm unclear if it is the same or not. And if not, is it still worth it to save the money?

Reyna
  • Options
    reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    Hi Dan,
    I've been looking into the Creative Cloud. Looking at the $19.99/month plan, which only allows you full access to one application (obviously I'd choose Photoshop). I have searched and searched the adobe site and I can't find the details on what is specifically limited about the other applications. Do you have any insight?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    The $19.95 per month for a single application is not the student plan, it's the plan for any individual. The $19.95 per month student plan is for the full set of creative apps. It's an intro price in both cases so it make go up.

I'm pretty sure some things have been added to Photoshop and Illustrator, but I haven't been keeping track of what they were, because they were not things of interest to me. I don't know where they might be list.

Go here an click on the "Plans for students and teachers tab" to see the student pricing.

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

"Complete
    $19.99/mo
    Promotional pricing for first year - see terms
    Same features as Individual Complete Plan
    Institutional affiliation required"

Dan
    Hi Dan,
    I've been looking into the Creative Cloud. Looking at the $19.99/month plan, which only allows you full access to one application (obviously I'd choose Photoshop). I have searched and searched the adobe site and I can't find the details on what is specifically limited about the other applications. Do you have any insight?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012

Reyna

I use it. There is no fuctionality difference.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    Probably considered a bit off topic. What has grated with me for many years was a HS administrator could buy at the discounted price while I who made many thousands (30-40) less as a bookkeeper with a construction company could not.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2012
    Jane B. wrote: »
    Probably considered a bit off topic. What has grated with me for many years was a HS administrator could buy at the discounted price while I who made many thousands (30-40) less as a bookkeeper with a construction company could not.

Really...

what about janitors that can also buy the educational versions... ... It is very clear...to buy an educational version one must work for educational system ... ... I bought several educational version while I was employed at a local university as the Performance Facilities manager... ... ... I had a school ID and that gave me the right to buy with discount... ... ... that is why it is called an educational version / discount ... ... not a general populace discount... and yeah I miss the Educational discounts.... oh yeah....If you have a child in school with a school ID you too can have that discount.... it used to be that even a kindergarten child could get the discount... so lots of people do get the discount that DO NOT work in the educational system in any way....

Academic Superstore used to have the lowest prices on Educationally discounted software...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website