Model Sarah Around Coney Island at Sunset

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited November 23, 2005 in People
took these yesterday with my ex-girlfriend sarah as the sun was setting. these are some of my favorites from the shoot so far. i haven't touched any of them yet. i know the images are all quite warm, but that's what i tend to go for when i shoot at sundown.

please tell me what you think, thank you.

45412591-M.jpg

45457973-L.jpg

45412825-L.jpg

45412974-L.jpg

45413663-L.jpg

45457522-L.jpg
i'll add more soon.

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    #3 and #6 are great.

In #3, it would have a bit more impact if she was looking this way but had kept her head tilted.

#6 could have benefitted from some fill, reflector or flash from the side, just to retain a bit more detail on her, but I do like the silhouette effect which is what you seemed to be going for.

I do like the lines in #2.

#1 and #4 are too warm for me.
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I think they are all very nice. I don't have any problem with the warmth. I think it looks cosy. She looks a little bit sad - perhaps she is longing for ya? :): She is very sweet! Good job!

Matty
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I think #4, 5, and 6 are my favorites.
    I realize this isn't necessarily the 'critique' forum, but here is my thoughts:

// /

#4 because of her expression... if you focus on her mouth, she seems sad; but if you focus on her eyes, it's almost a smile. Pretty neat.

#5 I like the colors - how it's warm, and yet has other colors in the background to make it interesting. I think it would've been cool though if you had her - in the same exact pose - but turned 180* with her legs hanging over the water. Know what I mean?

#6 is a very nice silhoutte. It's a readable pose; and it helps that the sky is clear. I really have nothing else to say except I think it's great : ).

// /

#1 I think could have benefitted from a wider focal range, or whatever it's called. I think it'd look better a focused background. Also, the way her head is makes her neck look fat.

#2 I like alot. While I like the large shadow at the top (and especially the ones on the ground), it's kinda distracting from her (at least to me). Maybe if you shifted the perspective a little wider to the left your eyes would follow the columns to her better. The sand is pretty cool. That'd be a nice one for some white text to be on it or something.

#3 I agree with Owen. I also think her face in this one would make a nice closeup.

// /

Just my thoughts =). You have more you said? You should put them up. You did a good job! I think it's cool, too, that you are able to do things with your ex-girlfriend. You guys still good friends and such?
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Very good work, binghott!
    Congratulations!
    Must say I like them all and this evening golden sun works.
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Wonderfull series, great work!
    My favourite is number 4. I love her expression and the warm sunset colors!

Regards,
    Andreas
  • JHavemanJHaveman Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    I love them all, but I think #4 is truely exceptional. Great work.
    Jeff
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Great work! I love the warmth and glow - my fav is #4 as well.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Hi, Binghott

I agree 4 is the best photo.
    Keep up the good work.
    I think I would have like the other photos better if, she was smiling.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    thank you all for your comments!
    #6 could have benefitted from some fill, reflector or flash from the side, just to retain a bit more detail on her, but I do like the silhouette effect which is what you seemed to be going for.
    i do need to get a reflector, but in this situation i wanted the silhouette, so i didn't want detail on her.
    I realize this isn't necessarily the 'critique' forum, but here is my thoughts:
    let em rip, i love when people pick apart my work. that's how i improve.
    (#5)I think it would've been cool though if you had her - in the same exact pose - but turned 180* with her legs hanging over the water. Know what I mean?
    i agree, that would definitely look great, but she wasn't interested in doing anything that could get her to fall in the water. maybe next time.
    (#1)Also, the way her head is makes her neck look fat.
    yup, i need to work on a better pose next time.
    I think it's cool, too, that you are able to do things with your ex-girlfriend. You guys still good friends and such?
    yeah we're really good friends, i tend to have "good" breakups.

you're all right, she should've smiled more. she didn't because she wanted to use one of the pictures to paint for her art class and she was going for that type of mood. next time i'll have her smile more. even though she didnt smile, i do love the expressions she made. i think they're pretty powerful.

once again, thank you all for your comments!