Options

The Princess Lost Her Shoe

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited August 10, 2004 in Holy Macro
This is one of the first shots with my new lens (Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4). The photo is entered in WA #126 "Junk" at Fred Miranda. I'm so happy with the new lens and the photo, I just had to share.

7078619-L.jpg

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    That's the coolest shot I've seen in days...nice Dave.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    That's the coolest shot I've seen in days...nice Dave.

Thanks Damon. I had a lot of fun today. The weather was perfect, and food was even better. I almost missed this shot because we were running late. I'm glad I made one last stop on our way home.

Dave
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    Is this a prison fence?
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks Damon. I had a lot of fun today. The weather was perfect, and food was even better. I almost missed this shot because we were running late. I'm glad I made one last stop on our way home.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    Is this a prison fence?

It's actually the fence around an abandoned storage yard. The area is now occupied by gypsies and the homeless. Not the best area to be walking around, but full of photo opportunities.

Dave
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    Yup cool shot ! Well done thumb.gif

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Yup cool shot ! Well done thumb.gif

Tim

Thanks Tim!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    This is one of the first shots with my new lens (Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4). The photo is entered in WA #126 "Junk" at Fred Miranda. I'm so happy with the new lens and the photo, I just had to share.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks for looking,
    Dave
    Nice shot. It looks like that's gona be a great lens for you. Let me know how the barrel distortion is at the wide end. My kit lens is terrible, and I will be looking for a wide angle lens later.

Thanks for posting.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Nice shot. It looks like that's gona be a great lens for you. Let me know how the barrel distortion is at the wide end. My kit lens is terrible, and I will be looking for a wide angle lens later.

Thanks for posting.

Sam

So far the lens seems to be a great performer. This was shot at 20mm and a slight crop in post. Next time I'm out, I can take a brick wall shot @ 17mm if you like.

I'm not too familiar w/ the Rebel and kit lens, but I'm sure the Tamron line would be a nice upgrade for you. I have the Nikon D70 & kit lens. I consider this a major improvement from the Nikon 18-70 kit.

Let me know if there are other tests you would like me to perform.

Dave
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    Cool shot Dave! Great! I always wonder how in the world you can loose a shoe..let alone leaving it there! Seeing your photo makes me want to find out who's it has been, it definitely has that 'hook' and a story to tell! (i also see lines and curves, but that seems to happen to me often lately) :D
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Cool shot Dave! Great! I always wonder how in the world you can loose a shoe..let alone leaving it there! Seeing your photo makes me want to find out who's it has been, it definitely has that 'hook' and a story to tell! (i also see lines and curves, but that seems to happen to me often lately) :D

I see the lines and curves too! I can't seem to get them out of my head right now.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    So far the lens seems to be a great performer. This was shot at 20mm and a slight crop in post. Next time I'm out, I can take a brick wall shot @ 17mm if you like.

I'm not too familiar w/ the Rebel and kit lens, but I'm sure the Tamron line would be a nice upgrade for you. I have the Nikon D70 & kit lens. I consider this a major improvement from the Nikon 18-70 kit.

Dave
    Thanks for the offer. I didn't intend for you to do anything special. The next time you take a photo of building or walls, just see how the barrel efect is. The Rebel kit lens is a good lens for the money, and I have some pretty good photos with it, but I didn't notice any barrel distortions until I looked at a recent photo of a hall way in The Winchecter Mystery House. Here is one of the photos. The photo is a throw away, but it does show the barrel distortion. This was taken at 18 mm.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Dave

Just itching to say that I love my Canon Rebel kit lens. The one everyone loves to hate. I have had no problems with it.

Maybe I wouldn't notice. But I am using it for this challenge. Others can tell me, as I will be shooting at the wide end. I already have a photo up. (Many of my photos have been shot with that lens, wide.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks for the offer. I didn't intend for you to do anything special. The next time you take a photo of building or walls, just see how the barrel efect is. The Rebel kit lens is a good lens for the money, and I have some pretty good photos with it, but I didn't notice any barrel distortions until I looked at a recent photo of a hall way in The Winchecter Mystery House. Here is one of the photos. The photo is a throw away, but it does show the barrel distortion. This was taken at 18 mm.

I never noticed the barrel distortion in my pics using the Nikon Kit unless it was a setting similar to the one you posted. I know there is a way to fix it in PS, but I've never tried it. I remember running across something in my photoshop book a few weeks ago but can't remember how difficult it was. Maybe I'll have to give it a try one day & see what happens. With a wide lens, there will always be some distortion, but it does differ from lens to lens.

Now you've peaked my interest. Time for some testing old vs. new & see what I can do in PS to correct it. It will take some time to work it out. My work schedule is brutal this week, but I will try and post some good results when I'm finished.

Dave
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Just itching to say that I love my Canon Rebel kit lens. The one everyone loves to hate. I have had no problems with it.

Maybe I wouldn't notice. But I am using it for this challenge. Others can tell me, as I will be shooting at the wide end. I already have a photo up. (Many of my photos have been shot with that lens, wide.

ginger
    Ditto for me Ginger.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    Sam, I should have thought that any lens on the planet will give you distortion at 18mm. That's how it works, right? ne_nau.gif

I used the Free Transform tool in Photoshop to get these buildings straight - they had been leaning in opposite directions. Took a lot of fiddling, not something I've done much of. This was shot at 24mm with a Canon 24-70.

Before
    7153097-M.jpg

After
    7070612-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 10, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sam, I should have thought that any lens on the planet will give you distortion at 18mm. That's how it works, right? ne_nau.gif

I used the Free Transform tool in Photoshop to get these buildings straight - they had been leaning in opposite directions. Took a lot of fiddling, not something I've done much of. This was shot at 24mm with a Canon 24-70.

Before
    7153097-M.jpg

After
    7070612-M.jpg
    DO you prefer the free transform tool over the Perspective check box in the crop tool? I usually use the perspective form of the crop tool to straighten out pictures of receeding bulidings - Is the free transform tool better ya think?

Your building seem to have a little wiggle in them - not leaning, but a slight bit off kilter. Maybe it's just me.:D Anybody else see this?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    DO you prefer the free transform tool over the Perspective check box in the crop tool? I usually use the perspective form of the crop tool to straighten out pictures of receeding bulidings - Is the free transform tool better ya think?

Your building seem to have a little wiggle in them - not leaning, but a slight bit off kilter. Maybe it's just me.:D Anybody else see this?

I'm sure you're right about the wiggle, I find this perspective thing to be very hard to do. I've read-up on it a bit... ultimately it seems to come down to skill and technique.

I haven't tried the perspective crop tool. I've read that some users prefer not to crop until they absolutely have to, so that they can preserve as much of the original image as possible. But my experience so far is that you always have to do some cropping. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au