Options

First BIG move to an L lense.

MaleficZMaleficZ Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited November 22, 2005 in Cameras
[font=&quot]Well its begun. I'm close to having enough money for an L lens. I will use the lens mostly for sports like football, basketball, and even auto racing (night time too). So I'm thinking about the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lense mostly. Then the 70-200 mm f/2.8L USM. And lastly the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM with all that zoom but higher f/.

Now out them all, the 70-200 with image stabilization looks to be THE best for what I’ll be using it for, but it also costs THE most. I was wondering if you guys thought it is worth the extra $650 for the IS?

[/font]
TCGphoto.com

\Ma*lef"ic\, a. Doing mischief; causing harm or evil; hurtful

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Yes.

It's my favorite and most used lens.

It allows for shooting in the the beautiful light of early morning and late evening without worrying about bumping up the ISO or using a tripod. Fantastic lens. I consider it the best zoom lens ever made.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    70 -200 f2.8L IS USM very nice lens can't go worng
    Good candid and portrait lens little long but works great
    Can't wait to see your photos from the new lens

And IS is my friend :D

Fred
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    *cough* lens *cough*

(no 'e' at the end of lens)

I've rented the 70-200L 2.8 IS and I really loved it. I've got to say, for my 20D in most situations it was just too long - I mean it's a 112 to 320 lens on the 20D. Then again I don't know what body you have.

But the pics you can get from the thing... oh man, they are really awesome. I envy anyone with that lens even if it is a tad bit long. Now the 5D / 70-200 would be something to behold;)

Well one can dream can't they?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited November 21, 2005
    Greetings!

Sweet lens it is. If you didn't like it and flipped it in Flea Market, I doubt
    you'd lose money.

Also, I moved this over to Cameras as it's a more appropriate thread.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 21, 2005
    Do you really need a zoom? The 135 f2 L has the same apparent mag on a 20D as a 200mm lens on a full frame camera. It is sharp, fast and with a great bokeh. And only $899 with a $35 rebate too. Small, light, black. Be the envy of your friends.

What is the percentage of shots with the 70-200 zoom that are shot at 200?? I agree with the poster who said the 70-200 is a little long for the 20D.... Too long to be useful indoors unless it is a basketball arena ne_nau.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the 70-200 F2.8 IS L - but it is heavy, white, and expensive. I used it for this frame on a 1DMkll
    43761314-L.jpg

But I got this frame with a 20D and the 135 L; guess which I use more often?? :):

39559594-L.jpg

If you are going to shoot athletics exclusively the reach and the zoom will be worthwhile. For walk around shooting and candid portraits the smaller, cheaper, black 135 L might be a better choice. Both are lovely lenses. I do tend to favor primes more and more.

As for IS, if the lens comes with it, don't pass it up. IS will save your bacon for you over and over.

Here is a shot I captured hand held with a 600mm lens with a shutter speed of 1/13th seconds. Yes, 1/13th handheld 600mm - That is 6 stops from the typical shutter speed needed with a 600mm lens of 1/1000th of a sec. You can't buy six stops of lens speed anywhere.
    Not the best shot but ...
    23257784-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Just a quick question. I will probably be getting the 70-200 f/4. (Not even close to having the money for the 2.8 IS...or just the 2.8 bncry.gif)Are the optics pretty much the same? I've never really seen a comparison on the f/4 to the 2.8 IS.ne_nau.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    70-200 IS: click on link for big file; check all the detail, eg the pilot.
    http://www.pbase.com/sparkytom/image/47337893