One shot with a crop

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited November 11, 2012 in Street and Documentary
A request for feedback on a shot from 2010. As to the shot itself, I'm somewhat indifferent. it's literally around the corner from my flat while I was living there. This is just the time I pressed the shutter. I'm simply curious which works better.

Original shot
DSC_2896%20-%20Version%202-XL.jpg

Cropped
DSC_2896%20-%20Version%203-XL.jpg

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Jen,

The uncropped version is beautiful. Frankly, the people don't add anything to the shot for me, so the cropped version does nothing but lose the great depth of field that really makes the scene for me.
    Travis
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    You seem to be leaning to "art" photography where the surroundings mean more than the
    people. That's fine, and that's a definite genre of photography and in no way lessens the
    interest of the photograph.

But, it seems a bit out-of-place in "Documentary" or "Street" where the emphasis is usually
    placed on people or people interacting with a scene. There's no real interaction here. The
    people are just there.

As an image in general, the uncropped version has more appeal because it does show more
    of the scene. The viewer doesn't have to consider the people any more than a man on a tractor
    in a landscape scene.

I might, though, crop a bit from the right to avoid such a noticeable mass of lightness.
    Not as much as the cropped version, but somewhere in-between.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    Tony, If you look at my galleries, you'll find that I actually do a lot of various styles, some Art, some Street, some Documentary. I've also been one to push what I can get in the camera. I was doing it way back when I started in the 1970's to today on both film and digital. As to whether this belongs in Documentary, I think it does. :D It's a part of my 15 Square project that I anticipate continuing to shoot on for a few more years.

I wouldn't have taken the picture if the people weren't there. At the time, I was probably trying to capture a sense of emptiness and intimacy simultaneously.

Thoth, I don't think I ever thought of this shot as beautiful. But hey, I'll take the compliment!
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Tony, If you look at my galleries, you'll find that I actually do a lot of various styles, some Art, some Street, some Documentary. I've also been one to push what I can get in the camera. I was doing it way back when I started in the 1970's to today on both film and digital. As to whether this belongs in Documentary, I think it does. :D It's a part of my 15 Square project that I anticipate continuing to shoot on for a few more years.

I wouldn't have taken the picture if the people weren't there.

My galleries also contain shots of many types. I suspect that's also true of
    most regular posters here. I dunno if any of mine would be described as "art",
    but there are many where art was attempted.

I was simply pointing out that this particular image is more "art" than "street",
    not that the shot shouldn't be taken or posted here. I've commented before
    that this forum is "home base" for many, and not-really-street photos are
    perfectly acceptable here.

I assume you do allow comments of any kind on your photos.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    1st one, absolutely.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    Original for me too. It gives a greater feeling of peering into their space, more feeling of intimacy. I agree that it's a beautiful shot.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography