Please critique my new responsive website

eoren1eoren1 Major grinsRegistered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited November 15, 2012 in The Big Picture
I have been using Wordpress for run my landscape photography websites for the past few years. One of the frustrations has been needing to essentially create a second version for mobile users. This past week, I found a great 'responsive' site that will automagically resize based on screen size. I have converted my smaller site with this new theme and would greatly appreciate your thoughts on it.

New site:
http://orenphotography.com

Older site (with prior theme):
http://wednesdaysinmhd.com

Will be converting the latter in a few weeks but it is a much bigger task (and far more trafficked one) so will need to hold off a bit longer.

Thanks
E

Comments

• ian408ian408 More wag. Less Bark. Administrators Posts: 21,581 moderator
    edited November 14, 2012
    I like the cleaner elements of the new design. However, if I want to buy something, it's way too confusing as to how that happens.
    Navigation is a little strange too-sometimes it's not clear whether an image I select is a gallery or a print.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • eoren1eoren1 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Thanks Ian
    The plugin I use on my main site is not present on this one. That offers buy print/download/card links under each photo.
    I've heard the complaint about not knowing when a photo links to a gallery vs individual image and agree it can be confusing. I may add some text on the Photo page to clarify.
    Appreciate your time
    E
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Walkin' like a Penguin! Atwater, CaRegistered Users Posts: 5,272 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Right now I have a custom-site that a friend help design. Unfortunately he has other commitments and now I'm looking at doing the Wordpress thing too. I set up a "play site" right now to experiment and I'm also looking at using FotoMoto.

One thing I noticed is it takes a while to load the lightbox plugin. I had the same plugin and it crashed a few time, so I found another lightbox.
  • eoren1eoren1 Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Thanks Mike

I think I made the mistake of exporting images that were too large. Too late to go through now and redo titles, etc.

I was using (in LR): 1200 px long edge, JPEG 85, 72 ppi
    Now using: 900 px, JPEG 70, 72 ppi

I think that will be better going forward and may try to shrink some of the old images to improve response time.

I also currently have all cacheing plugins off as I make frequent changes to the site.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Walkin' like a Penguin! Atwater, CaRegistered Users Posts: 5,272 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    My images are 600px on the long side and I still had issues with that plugin....on two different machines. I finally went with "Shadowbox JS".

Your site looks good though.

Have you had any orders via Fotomoto?