Bike festival

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited November 17, 2012 in Street and Documentary
A nice small town bicycle festival in my hometown. I've raced, volunteered, and generally had fun.

CCBF%20No%204062-L.jpg

Here is our local bike shop owner, organizer, and generally enthusiastic supporter of town, bikes, and open spaces.

Thanks looking.....

Comments

• PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    ...and maybe BW helps isolate the main characters a bit...

CCBF%20No%204062%20BW-L.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 11, 2012
    It's a nice photograph but nothing about it really says "bike festival" to me. I think maybe a wider angle would help give more of the feeling of a festival.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited November 12, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    It's a nice photograph but nothing about it really says "bike festival" to me. I think maybe a wider angle would help give more of the feeling of a festival.

Good point. I cropped it a bit to focus more on guy with mic. You can see people with bike helmets, but maybe that is more obvious to a cyclist. I'll try the original wider version too.

Thanks,
    edited November 12, 2012
    For me, the group of cyclists could be any group of cyclists. Sure, there's a guy with a mic and a priest but those don't make it a festival.

To me, a festival has tents, vendors, and maybe demonstrations of some type. It's a scene-like Sea Otter is for mtb racing.
    edited November 12, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    For me, the group of cyclists could be any group of cyclists. Sure, there's a guy with a mic and a priest but those don't make it a festival.

To me, a festival has tents, vendors, and maybe demonstrations of some type. It's a scene-like Sea Otter is for mtb racing.

Interesting comments. My real intention was the announcer in the sea of people with bike helmets, and am waiting for someone to comment on the symmetry of his raised hand and the minister's.

You're right, "festival" may have been misleading. Titles are something I have commented on before and generally came down on the side of no titles are best, just let picture speak and now I have ignored my own advice.

I wonder--if it is possible--for you to consider the pic from scratch and ignore the title. ("the jury shall disregard the last statement...."). Look at the picture for the picture's sake and ignore title and previous comments. I'll be the first to admit it is not an award winner, but did the distraction of looking for a 'festival' impact other thoughts or comments on the picture?

Thanks again for pointing that out, I just labeled it mindlessly because I knew it was a Bike festival.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    The composition is at the "almost" stage for me. I think I get what you were attempting to do and there is that little bit of parallelism happening between the guy with the mic and the priest to our right. On the technical front, I think I would lift the red filter in the B&W version to brighten the skin tones just a little. They feel slightly too grey and muddled.
    edited November 12, 2012
    Without the festival, I still think it's a good picture of the organizer. I thought the organizer had a sort of Steve Jobs pose to him too-almost looks like him in his better days too.

I agree that the composition is "almost" and that brighter skin tones would benefit the picture.
    edited November 17, 2012
    Thank you both. Good input. I'll play with the red in my conversion and see what I can do about the skin.