Options

Over 40 Hockey

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited November 29, 2012 in Sports
Although the NHL is in hiatus, the high school and Junior hockey season is upon us. To get some of the rust off the hinges so to speak, I went out and shot a few games at a over 40 league.

Was rather fun. The guys seemed to think it was pretty cool that someone was actually taking pictures of them and as an added bonus, they were more than happy to share a beer or two after the game!

For someone starting out with hockey, this is a great option for practicing and getting a feel for shooting as the action is slower than even high school, lots slower than Junior and whole bunches slower than NHL.

i-nDmhjnT-L.jpg

i-rTd4zdQ-L.jpg

i-J6GcFSh-L.jpg

i-VGPWFfX-L.jpg

i-C2bB2bh-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    I was asked to do a high school game coming up. Where did you shoot from? A bench maybe?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2012
    Kind of depends on the coach if you will be allowed access to the bench. There is lots of activity on a hockey bench with line changes and what not. A photographer that isn't really on top of the game could cause a too many men penalty and interfere with the flow.

If the arena doesn't have "camera holes" in the glass at various spots, I would recommend a step ladder that allows you to shoot from just above the top of the glass next to one of the benches.

Regards,

Bryce
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    These have very good image quality, but I play men's hockey and if these were me I wouldn't be buying. Maybe #4 but only as a joke because it says ASS on the boards. :D Otherwise these aren't exciting or flattering. This was probably the players' fault and not yours. These would be great if they were kids but I think at this level you would need to capture some really spectacular and rare moments.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2012
    but I think at this level you would need to capture some really spectacular and rare moments.

Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif The average age of the players in this game was 53. Several of the players were well into their 60's and some were "benders". "Spectacular" moments were few and far between. Frankly, I think it's pretty spectacular that a 65 year old still laces em up and competes.
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    Consider me a student here , Shooting from the bench or penalty box (with no glass,depending on the rink) can provide you with some good angles, but also limits you .Try from the Bench , but also make your way around the rink to get shots from the ends (if you can find a clean spot in the glass. I have just started a new free website for fun. Gallery in it has some decent shots from the bench ,some poor ones through glass but the angles were good through the glass. have a look http://srxman.wix.com/6k-images#!untitled/component_9350 I am using a t2i with a 100mm 2.8 macro lense for the most part
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    and in the website ,some are sporttraits ,some are for my kids for facebook and don't include all of ingredients for great hockey shots .Not doing this for profit as of yet ,waiting to upgrade to a 7D and 70-200mm2.8 before I get serious .
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    :)

You don't understand it... until you get there. And then it's all very clear.
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif The average age of the players in this game was 53. Several of the players were well into their 60's and some were "benders". "Spectacular" moments were few and far between. Frankly, I think it's pretty spectacular that a 65 year old still laces em up and competes.
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    Crop them much tighter Bryce. Get rid of things like the door and wall in #5, the background players in #1, dead space above the action in #2 and #3.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    Very nice! Hockey is tough to shoot, considering lighting and fast action, well maybe not in this case. I really and truly admire the guys playing at their ages. I hope you got some good micro brew!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil