Options

Need help

Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
edited November 26, 2012 in Sports
Need some advice from sports photographers who shoot horses or rodeo scenes. I have images in Documentaries (My first rodeo) and People (Readying the Bull for Release and Exploding Out of the Gate). Would welcome any suggestions as to how to get more exciting shots, better compositions without al the extraneous people and sugestions for other types of shots. Very new to this venue.

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    Get longer glass and remote flash, move to the other end of the arena. Shoot them coming out of the gate and at you. Good luck, rodeo photographers do a good job at protecting their turf.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2012
    Get longer glass and remote flash, move to the other end of the arena. Shoot them coming out of the gate and at you. Good luck, rodeo photographers do a good job at protecting their turf.

Thanks!

Doesn't the flash spook the horses and riders? Or is this an acceptable practice? I know shooting other sports events they'll hang you out to dry for using flash. Just being cautious. It would be really neat if I could get a trip hooked to the release mechanism. How long of a piece of glass? Will a 70-200 2.8 do the trick, or longer?
  • Options
    xchangxxchangx Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Any rodeo I've shot required a 400 from the other side of the arena.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    xchangx wrote: »
    Any rodeo I've shot required a 400 from the other side of the arena.

That's what I was afraid of and it's a lot of glass though it is a lens missing from my small arsenal and I am thinking I have to take the plunge. I shoot a Nikon D7000. Any suggestions that won't put me in the poor house?
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of and it's a lot of glass though it is a lens missing from my small arsenal and I am thinking I have to take the plunge. I shoot a Nikon D7000. Any suggestions that won't put me in the poor house?

There is always the 300mm f4 from Nikon. On a crop sensor it'll be about 450mm. I'll probably pick one up myself after I get the 70-200 2.8.

You can also look at the new 70-200 f4 from Nikon, when its available

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207356-USA/Nikon_1909_Telephoto_AF_S_Nikkor_300mm.html
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2012
    Flash has not been a problem for rodeo. Lower level show jumpers and dressage is a different story.
  • Options
    williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Dr. C, that show we were discussing in the other thread had an official photog that follows them around the country. He had five strobes set up. Two at the opposite end from the bucking chutes and three at the other end. He was using Pocket Wizards to trigger them on two channels. He was shooting at ISO 800 with a 70-200 f/2.8 and making great shots. He also makes a good living with this group.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AARON ROBINSONAARON ROBINSON Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2012
    Aaron
    No flash unless the horse is trained indoors. Get to know the horse and the rider before the shoot. Slow shutter and pan....steady hands.

AARON ROBINSON PHOTOGRAPHY LLC
  • Options
    VITAL277VITAL277 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2012
    Strobes are a good thing, in an outdoor environment. I use a 70-200mm f2.8 on a Crop Sensor, D300s, and a 300mm f2.8 on a FX Sensor, D3.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    I just ordered the Nikkor 70-200 4.0 with the 2x tele-extender and tripod ring. I'll see how that does.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    I just ordered the Nikkor 70-200 4.0 with the 2x tele-extender and tripod ring. I'll see how that does.

I'm a Canon guy - Will your Nikon still autofocus? I don't think Canon will. You are allready have an issue with not enough light and your going to try an F4 with a 2X? Sounds like trouble to me.
  • Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I'm a Canon guy - Will your Nikon still autofocus? I don't think Canon will. You are allready have an issue with not enough light and your going to try an F4 with a 2X? Sounds like trouble to me.

I think you might be right, I'm pretty sure AF will not work

Also for the OP remember that crop factor with your sensor. That 70-200 will look more like a 105-300
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2012
    Spend sometime looking around for a used 80-200 f/2.8 if the budget is tight. If not buy the 70-200 f/2.8 new or used. You will trully like either. The system you just ordered is going to give you fits in action type shots and the f/4 doesnt help your low light problems you are going to face shooting rodeos.

Strobes are the ideal method when possible. Still more to budget for$$
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2012
    According to Nikon, the autofocus works with all the tele extenders. I did opt out for the 1.4 instead of the 2.0. The nice thing about buying from B&H is they will take it back, no questions and a full refund if you are notpleased with the results. Cheaper than renting one. I hate buying used or refurbished lenses. May still opt out for the 70-200 2.8 with the 1.4.