Life

mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
edited November 21, 2012 in Street and Documentary
MichaelShapiroPhotography-Odessa_2012-08-0042-X3.jpg

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    It doesn't really light my fire, but it's still a nice juxtaposition shot between generations.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    i'd like it better if shot from a lower angle.
  • mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    Thanks for comments and suggestion. I will certainly think about it while catching similar moments.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited November 14, 2012
    Though it's often a good idea to shoot from a lower perspective, a lower angle here would have made the people in the background more prominent, and I suspect that without a much narrower DOF, that would have been a distraction. It's a decent juxtaposition, but I agree with Jenn that it's not much more than that.
  • stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Very good age contrast!
  • Dr CalohandreDr Calohandre Banned Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    At Mike's request, I am posting a shot I sent to him as a PM. I found his image nicely suited to a B&W conversion and I put the emphasis in several different areas that struck me when I first opened the shot.

The older lady needed more room to look out of the frame because in her age, she's seen much, therefore more to reflect upon. The younger girl's life is yet in front of her and she has less to muse about, thus the shorter amount of room to leave the frame. She is brighter because of this youth and the elder lady darker as time closes in on her. I liked the sidewalk people but felt they had too much emphasis so I blurred them a bit more and also gave them a bit of a gradient fill to diminish their value.

8187320619_4e98045fd9_o.jpg
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    I liked the original, and I really like the BW version with edits. Yes, just a juxtaposition of ages but very well captured with back to back, expression, lost in thought gaze, etc. You can almost pick any detail and see old/young. Shoes, pants, hat vs. no hat. More you look, more you'll find.

I think deserving of a bit higher praise than original comments, just my thoughts.
    edited November 17, 2012
    Keep going back and forth between my original and Dr.'s b&w and cannot make up my mind what I like better:) But as I already said in my private message to Dr. - I appreciate the effort and the opportunity to see the other side of this image.
    edited November 17, 2012
    Can I have a go at the color image?
    edited November 17, 2012
    sure:)
    edited November 17, 2012
    mishenka wrote: »
    sure:)

I had most of it already done prior to the B&W conversion so it wasn't too hard to finish it out in color. I pretty much stayed with the same thematic view though in the color version, I applified the orange bench to give better separation to the blues in the jeans and blouse. Did a bit of selective sharpening on the two figures and played with the HSB on the elder lady's face.

8195146894_71c4f9b8c3_o.jpg
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I think both adaptations improve the shot and helps show the underlying composition much better.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I liked the original, and I really like the BW version with edits. Yes, just a juxtaposition of ages but very well captured with back to back, expression, lost in thought gaze, etc. You can almost pick any detail and see old/young. Shoes, pants, hat vs. no hat. More you look, more you'll find.

I think deserving of a bit higher praise than original comments, just my thoughts.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    I like the color version and i thing a tighter square crop would work.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |