Options

Wireless Flash

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited November 14, 2012 in Technique
I am using an Olympus E-620 with a Fl-36R flash and would like to fire the FL-36R remotely WITHOUT firing the on camera flash. Is this possible? So help me, I have searched the manuals and cannot find out if it can be done. Is there an actual wireless signal sent to the flash or is it activated by the light from the on camera flash? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    there are several brands of flash triggers out there to fire your flash remotely...especially on ebay...

ebay - ttl triggers for oly ...

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    I recommend getting some radios. I got some cheap ones ($20) from Cowboy Studio / Amazon. They are not ttl but the fire flawlessly.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    OK, what I am understanding is that the flash is fired by the on camera flash firing unless I use an aftermarket trigger.

I guess what threw me was my manual that stated "In RC mode the built-in flash is use to control the wireless flash. The built-in flash cannot be used for flash shooting in this mode." The second statement made me think the flash would not fire, but it does. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited November 14, 2012
    BMW Kurt wrote: »
    OK, what I am understanding is that the flash is fired by the on camera flash firing unless I use an aftermarket trigger.

I guess what threw me was my manual that stated "In RC mode the built-in flash is use to control the wireless flash. The built-in flash cannot be used for flash shooting in this mode." The second statement made me think the flash would not fire, but it does. headscratch.gif

This statement would lead me to believe it's using the IR to control the remote flashes. However, if the flash is firing, then it's acting as many slave units do and that's sensing the flash pulse and firing.

I found the manual online and it says (page 77) the flash fires only to communicate with the other flash units (RC MODE = ON). Now if it really does fire, then it's adding light. Strange.

Page 80 talks more about RC flash.

I'd go the radio route for a couple of reasons. The first being you're less restricted on where the lights can go. And you have a bit more control over the lights.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    I found the manual online and it says (page 77) the flash fires only to communicate with the other flash units (RC MODE = ON). Now if it really does fire, then it's adding light. Strange.

Exactly! ne_nau.gif I'm guessing this is one of those 'lost in translation" events. An outboard trigger seems to be the way to go.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    The OLY pop up flash may be acting similar to the Nikon pop ups as they are commanding the other flashes but not adding enough light to the scene to even be measured... I had tried using my pop up in commander (nikon d300 / 700) then forgot that it was set to commander and went to do a fun shoot and try out the pop up... I was less than 4 feet from subject and the light was well...almost non existent ... but if I got close enough the effect could be interesting.

With the flash triggers I linked to and will all RF frequency flash triggers, you do not have to worry about line of sight or others using a flash to trigger the other slave flashes....RF triggers are the only way to go.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The OLY pop up flash may be acting similar to the Nikon pop ups as they are commanding the other flashes but not adding enough light to the scene to even be measured... I had tried using my pop up in commander (nikon d300 / 700) then forgot that it was set to commander and went to do a fun shoot and try out the pop up... I was less than 4 feet from subject and the light was well...almost non existent ... but if I got close enough the effect could be interesting.

With the flash triggers I linked to and will all RF frequency flash triggers, you do not have to worry about line of sight or others using a flash to trigger the other slave flashes....RF triggers are the only way to go.

bowdown.gif That's it!

After reading your post I did the following test. I put my camera flash into RC mode and shot a scene using only the on camera flash. The flash fired, but it was not strong enough to light the scene at all. Thanks!!! 9496500-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2012
    BMW Kurt wrote: »
    bowdown.gif That's it!

After reading your post I did the following test. I put my camera flash into RC mode and shot a scene using only the on camera flash. The flash fired, but it was not strong enough to light the scene at all. Thanks!!! 9496500-Ti.gif

My Pleasure to help.clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb