Options

Wedding Photographer Straps/Bags

Jman3Jman3 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 15, 2012 in Accessories
Hi Gang,
I want to hear from some other wedding/event/on the go photographers regarding straps for multiple cameras, and other cool gear you love that helps with the quick draws, organization, mobility, and that reduces fumbling gear around or frantically digging through a gear bag to find that perfect lens for the photo opp. you just spotted. Thanks in advance and happy shooting! -J

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 13, 2012
    I use an Op/Tech "Dual Harness" to carry two bodies with lenses. It uses the 3/8" Op/Tech connection standard, so I also use an Op/Tech "Pro Strap, 3/8" for a single camera application.

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html

http://www.adorama.com/OTPSBK.html

If I want to carry an extra lens (or extra flash) I use a "holster" bag and leave it unzipped for easy access to the lens. The holster shape allows the lens to sit upright in the bag, while the wide opening allows easy grab of the lens in the bag.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Putting the words "strap" and "wedding" in the same sentence makes me shudder.

This is how I roll...

i-tj9dXHn.jpg

(The bag is designed and produced by the guys at the studio I shoot for, so they had me model it with my Spider Holster)

It's easy to carry one or two bodies, with room for an extra 2-3 lenses and a flash. It's heavy on your hips, but my neck and shoulders and back really love me! Actually, I almost always just swap out my needed gear and shoot 75%+ of the day with just a single camera and 2-3 lenses total, plus maybe a small flash like the SB700 instead of the SB900. If I really need more gear, my rolling case is never too far.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I'm using a Spider Holster + a couple of Think Tank lens bags on my belt. My plan is to use a large camera bag to get all of my gear to a wedding (or other location) then keep everything I need on me so I'm ready for anything.

@Matt is that the Black Widow (plastic) holster you're using there? If so, how is it holding up to professional use?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I'm using a Spider Holster + a couple of Think Tank lens bags on my belt. My plan is to use a large camera bag to get all of my gear to a wedding (or other location) then keep everything I need on me so I'm ready for anything.

@Matt is that the Black Widow (plastic) holster you're using there? If so, how is it holding up to professional use?

Since I also have the regular Spider Holster, Patrick, I haven't put the Black Widow through too much abuse yet but having used it plenty already I'm sure that it'll do just fine holding my 2nd body or my Engagement session / casual setup. (Basically, anything lighter than a 70-200 on an un-gripped body.) I dunno if I'd like it on a gripped flagship body with a 70-200 and flash attached, though. Not so much because of the risk of breakage, but because of how it would dig into my leg!

Either way, I can indeed recommend it as a backup to just toss in your rolling camera case, or for use on engagement sessions etc. where all you need is an...oh wait, "lightweight" and "85mm" don't go together for you. I was gonna say 85 1.8 though. Lovely engagement setup and rests well on the Black Widow...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I use an Op/Tech "Dual Harness" to carry two bodies with lenses. It uses the 3/8" Op/Tech connection standard, so I also use an Op/Tech "Pro Strap, 3/8" for a single camera application.

http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html

http://www.adorama.com/OTPSBK.html

If I want to carry an extra lens (or extra flash) I use a "holster" bag and leave it unzipped for easy access to the lens. The holster shape allows the lens to sit upright in the bag, while the wide opening allows easy grab of the lens in the bag.

this the way I have gone... I also use RRS styled "L" brackets so I can use the hand-strap cut out to hook my straps from the dual harness to...by doing this it keeps the straps out of the way when shooting.... image below will show how to make the connections work.....I USE lOWEpPO 75aw BAGS FOR HOLSTER (BELT) BAG on a web Military Pistol belt, works like a charm and no weight on pants to pull them down either.:D

p1267211620-4.jpg

the split rings (key rings, about $2 per package) can be purchased from walmart and the snaps I purchased at Menards for $.99 each ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Can't see image^
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    Jman3Jman3 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Thanks for the input!