Thanks for Nothing Nikon

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited November 19, 2012 in Cameras
Anxiously awaiting a D400 and they offer up a D5200.
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited November 14, 2012
    The Nikon D5200 is so nicely specified for its cost that I have to believe it means good things for the Nikon D400 when it finally emerges. Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait (I bet). mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait (I bet). mwink.gif
    Never my strong suit.
    John :
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll even see a D400 at all. You know, they might just put ~8 FPS and flagship autofocus in a D8000 and call it a day... That would be unfortunate, but almost acceptable...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll even see a D400 at all.

Like I've said in other posts, D400...I don't think so. With the release of the D5200 that portion of the market just became a little too crowded...or so I see it.

Nikon now has three 24 mega-pixel cameras...can Nikon really think consumers want another one.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    D800 and use the DX mode :P
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
    edited November 14, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    D800 and use the DX mode :P
    Hoping for better FPS in a D400.
    John :
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Ah, I overlooked the 4-5 FPS of the D800!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
    edited November 15, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    Ah, I overlooked the 4-5 FPS of the D800!

I believe that you can get 6 fps using the optional MB-D12 grip and in DX mode on the Nikon D800 body.
    ziggy53
    edited November 15, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I believe that you can get 6 fps using the optional MB-D12 grip and in DX mode on the Nikon D800 body.
    But my D300, when gripped and using AAs gets near 10fps. And my D3s, well you get the picture. All these work-arounds wouldn't even be worth discussing if they'd give us a D400. ne_nau.gif And by the time you put the grip on the D800, and slide in the additional battery, well heck, you're up around $3500. Nah, I'll wait a few months and hope for something a bit more to my liking.
    John :
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    FWIW, Thom Hogan (if you don't read his site) still believes there will be a D400.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Like I've said in other posts, D400...I don't think so. With the release of the D5200 that portion of the market just became a little too crowded...or so I see it.

Nikon now has three 24 mega-pixel cameras...can Nikon really think consumers want another one.

I don't see how mega-pixel makes a difference, its features. The D5200 doesn't come close to the features of the D300. I think Nikon is taking a different approach with their sensors now. In the past, the new sensor would go to the flagship or pro-sumer model and then gets refined in the consumer releases. Now, Nikon is releasing the new sensors into the consumer cameras, and then refines them for the upper level camera so they will have the more mature technology.
    edited November 15, 2012
    FWIW, Thom Hogan (if you don't read his site) still believes there will be a D400.

Yes. If you have the time, his article (Oct 2012) is a worthwhile read. If you don't have the time, here's a snippet:

"A lot of people have written me thinking the D400 will never appear. But if you consider the last paragraph and what DX is all about, it has to appear, or else Nikon will have effectively narrowed DX to a much smaller audience. Nikon can't afford to narrow their markets at this point, nor can they trust that they can force people to buy higher. They have potential large competitive gaps with strong competitors if they take the D300s/D400 out of the lineup. No, there will be a D400. The only question is when and what."

The million dollar question is whether Nikon's evaluation of the situation reaches a similar conclusion.
    John :
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    People talk about there being no market for a D400 as if Pentax and all the other crop-sensor makers are already out of business. There is a HUGE market for a D400, it just doesn't happen to be the likes of us "loud voices of the internet"...

=Matt=
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    I gave up today on waiting for the D4whatever it is going to be called. Bought a like new used D3
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I don't see how mega-pixel makes a difference, its features. The D5200 doesn't come close to the features of the D300. I think Nikon is taking a different approach with their sensors now. In the past, the new sensor would go to the flagship or pro-sumer model and then gets refined in the consumer releases. Now, Nikon is releasing the new sensors into the consumer cameras, and then refines them for the upper level camera so they will have the more mature technology.

I totally agree...none of the cameras that I mentioned come close to the pro-body features that are on the D300 and D300s. And, I hope you're correct...but, what's the hold up.

The D400 would be a totally different creature, feature wise. I've had the D200, still have a D300 and a D700 and love the buttonology.

I'm certainly not opposed to a D400...just wondering why Nikon is waiting so long to introduce it. They've got to realize that they're losing sales to the D600 and the D5200...

Just some food for thought.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited November 18, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    I totally agree...none of the cameras that I mentioned come close to the pro-body features that are on the D300 and D300s. And, I hope you're correct...but, what's the hold up.

The D400 would be a totally different creature, feature wise. I've had the D200, still have a D300 and a D700 and love the buttonology.

I'm certainly not opposed to a D400...just wondering why Nikon is waiting so long to introduce it. They've got to realize that they're losing sales to the D600 and the D5200...

Just some food for thought.

Nikon has always been a little scant as far as covering ALL the bases are concerned. They usually focus their efforts in cycles, and "pro DX" has understandably had to take a back seat while Nikon focuses it's efforts on the D4, D800, and D600. Even now, I'm betting that a D7000 replacement could come first. Though I'm hoping for a D400.

=Matt=
    edited November 19, 2012
    ... "pro DX" has understandably had to take a back seat while Nikon focuses it's efforts on the D4, D800, and D600. ...

I'm willing to bet that the same R&D team works on all interchangeable lens bodies, so add the Nikon "1" series, V1, J1 and now the J2 and V2 to the list of "distractions" for that team. Bringing new systems to market is always tough, but Nikon seems to be betting heavily on the mirrorless, interchangeable lens market, and putting a lot of resources there.

The D300S and D7000 bodies are still selling well, and I don't think that Nikon felt too much pressure to upgrade the line. (Those bodies are still relevant and capable in their market.) A D400 is still extremely possible, and I'm thinking will come within a year from now.
    ziggy53