Need some guidance +C C

GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited November 27, 2012 in People
I have finally forced myself, after taking various classes to dive in to learning how to edit outside of Lightroom on my own. I was asked by my neighbor to take some shots for Christmas cards this year. She hates how she looks, so I took them out to PSE and cleaned up some of the wrinkles, stray hairs, skin defects. But, I didn't go crazy I just tried to soften them. Her husband has red blotchy skid and some "old age" spots that I corrected.

Did I do too much, not enough? I tried to warm up the skin tones to over come the redness of the dad's skin. It was a challenge with three different types of complexion. I didn't overly sharpen.

Like I said, making myself learn and trying to use a light touch.

Mom still hates the way she looks, but I think as we age, the less we like having our pictures taken.

Here is the original photo

Original-2946-L.jpg

And the Edited Version:
LR%20edit-2946-L.jpg

Comments

• coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    I think it is not too much - I mean not too smooth - actually I would make mom more smooth and not only on her face - hands, arms etc

• Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    My opinion is that in both versions the background is brighter than the subjects are when it should be the other way around.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    1st and foremost..get your exposure up. Skin tones could use at least 1/2 stop more exposure. note..higher exposure will often hide skin issues.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    +1 - up the exposure. Theyr'e very dark on both monitors I've checked.

The skinwork looks fine, but get your exposure right and then tweak - as Q says, brighter exposure will already help to minimize some blemishes and wrinkles..... :)
  • GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2012
    Great advice, and I will take it! Thanks for your input.
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    My opinion is that in both versions the background is brighter than the subjects are when it should be the other way around.
    I disagree that the background should necessarily be darker than the subjects. A background that is brighter than the subjects can work just fine (in a high key set up). The problem here, as others have noted, is the subjects are underexposed.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    I disagree that the background should necessarily be darker than the subjects. A background that is brighter than the subjects can work just fine (in a high key set up). The problem here, as others have noted, is the subjects are underexposed.

I doubt very much that the image in question was supposed to be taken as a high key image. I may not have explained well. The exposure of the image appears, at least to me, to have the exposure set properly for the background and not the subjects.
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    I think what the problem is, they are in the shade and the green shrubbery behind them, is in the full Sun. To bring them up to the right exposure with a splash of fill light and exposure increase, without burning that green down and or lowering the green level in LR, makes it really bling, I mean REALLY bling lol. Or takeing it to layers in CS5. Gretchen, I would be glad to help you on this, since you said it was for Christmas cards or something. Just let me know.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    i'd do 3 things

lighter
    stronger contrast through curves
    warmer
    maybe more vibrance.
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2012
    I think everyone nailed it. The shots are just extremely flat and the subjects aren't exposed properly. And you cropped dad's fingers.
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Also the pose of the mother puts a huge wrinkle of skin on her arm. +1 on touching up the rest of the skin too.
  • GretchenGretchen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Again, thanks every one for the solid advice, and am looking forward to putting it to use. I certainly have a lot to learn and the only way to get better is to get help from the experts.

These folks are my neighbors and I love them to death, but the Mom is a bit OCD and wants to be in charge of everything. She insisted on this spot and I finally gave up. At the end of the day she didn't like any of them and wants a do over. Next time it's my way or we don't do it.

But, the good news is, it was a good learning experience for me and gave me some shots to practice editing on. Plus, I won't be reticent to ask for advise on DG again!

Thanks, thanks, thanks, and Best wishes for a happy holiday season.
  • kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Gretchen wrote: »
    Again, thanks every one for the solid advice, and am looking forward to putting it to use. I certainly have a lot to learn and the only way to get better is to get help from the experts.

These folks are my neighbors and I love them to death, but the Mom is a bit OCD and wants to be in charge of everything. She insisted on this spot and I finally gave up. At the end of the day she didn't like any of them and wants a do over. Next time it's my way or we don't do it.

But, the good news is, it was a good learning experience for me and gave me some shots to practice editing on. Plus, I won't be reticent to ask for advise on DG again!

Thanks, thanks, thanks, and Best wishes for a happy holiday season.

As a baseline in the shade like this, try setting your camera to aperture priority and add +2/3 exposure and see what you get. Turn on highlight clipping and start working toward that higher exposure making sure there's no highlight clipping on the subject. Experiment there.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    Take charge......no black tops and no wild bright colors or busy tops. Tell them to put the outfits on the bed and squint, this will make the colors bleed together and the offending color will stand out. Everyone should dress from head to toe. No spaghetti straps or really short sleeves........can you say Bat Wings.

You did a pleasing job with posing. Keep the heads in a triangle formation, this is a strong composition. If the heads have to be in a straight line have them on an angle and not even. Turn the people slightly with weight on the back leg, the women will love you for making them thin, not matter how thin they might be.

For the last shot be crazy and ask them to smoosh in together as close as they can. You usually get great expressions.

Exposure, if you are going for an exposure in camera get it in their face and meter, then back up. You camera will say you are wrong but that is for the overall scene not the faces. However your background might be blown out but if you don't have any lighting you willl have to accept certain facts.

Hope that helps
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2012
    I think you got some solid advice from everyone. The only thing I would add, since you mentioned a do over, is that the woman sitting is slightly out of focus. It appears that you focused on the two people in the back with a shallow DOF. Not sure if this was your intention, possibly trying to soften the person in front? If that is the case, you might want to focus on a plane that is more in the middle and soften in post. possibly close the aperture by a stop or so.