Options

displaying large print

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grinsGrasonville, MDPosts: 0 Big grins
edited November 30, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I've been asked to put up a largish print 24x36 and I currently do the framesdestination thing and matt/mount my bayphoto prints to this frame packages. I'm a bit nervous mounting such a large print in a wood/acrylic frame. I thought maybe doing a metal frame or a large metalprint and see if it sells in a floating frame (thats twice the cost of framing it myself).

Any suggestions on displaying? Its for a restauarant and I have a good theme going with gallery style frames right now.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Wood frame with glass...this is mostly for protection from steamy plates of food, hot beverages and such....or metal print with a shrink wrap cover or a very good triple coat of 3M poly coat ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Metal prints are waterproof. So unless someone sets a torch to it, I wouldn't worry about shrink wrapping or coating it with Poly. They are very durable.. And if you do a framed print, please, don't forget to have it mounted. I hate seeing waves in the prints on display because a photographer didn't want to spend an extra $20 to have it mounted to something solid.. Personally, I prefer gatorboard or masonite. Everyone has their own favorite.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    I have been selling Metal prints to my local hospital in 30x40 size... they loooooook Maaaarvelous! And the facilities director likes the fact that there is less material, more print, lightweight, and less to burn in case of a fire.... the shots really pop off the metal and they are extremely easy to clean - a bonus to the housekeeping staff. Because Metal prints are not seen often in my neck of the woods, they get bragging rites in the hospital for their uniqueness, sure, you can research and purchase metal online, but the expense makes it where many would prefer cheap stuff from big boxes.... Smart, fresh, maintainable - metal is the way to go in my opinion.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Grasonville, MDPosts: 0 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    thanks. my larger ones ive been doing linen tape hinge mounts because i figured people would reframe, but im going to a mount board for these larger ones. they are a bitch to assemble if they aren't tacked down. i see why professional framing is premium. its an art in itself. im going w/ a metal print for this one and see if it doesn't impress the hell out of em. the metal paper behind acrylic is looking very good for my smaller ones.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    I made a decision for this large one to put one of my best restaurant pics on a 30x40 metal print with a recessed frame to cover a switchbox in the restaurant dining area. I think this will go over extremely well. The previous framed print I had of this scene sold to parents of someone who had their reception at the restaurant. If I could I'd hang all metals because they are so easy with the float frames to mount and keep clean. I will post a pic of it set up once it comes in this week.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    bagginz wrote: »
    I made a decision for this large one to put one of my best restaurant pics on a 30x40 metal print with a recessed frame to cover a switchbox in the restaurant dining area. I think this will go over extremely well. The previous framed print I had of this scene sold to parents of someone who had their reception at the restaurant. If I could I'd hang all metals because they are so easy with the float frames to mount and keep clean. I will post a pic of it set up once it comes in this week.

I look forward to seeing this set up.... it may give me some ideas myself. thumb.gif
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Wiren wrote: »
    I look forward to seeing this set up.... it may give me some ideas myself. thumb.gif

It looks beautiful! I am kinda shellshocked that to put a recessed frame on a 278 dollar metal print was an extra 104 bucks, but i thought it would be a better hanging solution to cover a switchbox and would be more professional looking and supportive than just the float blocks. I think if I do more, I'll try just the float blocks and see how that looks. I loaded the pics onto my facebook photo page - I'll link one when I get home tonight.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2012
    bagginz wrote: »

For some reason I thought you were adding a second frame around the metal print.... guess I misunderstood. That shot looks great on metal and I have sold several of these metal prints to my local hospital who are big fans of the style and love the bragging rights for the uniqueness of metal prints in the area......

Good job, glad you like the way that turned out.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2012
    I did a black metal recessed frame which is behind the print. float blocks may have done the same thing but I wanted to make sure a wall switchbox was fully hidden

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2