2»

Comments

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Angelo wrote: »

you're not happy - move on!

I believe he will be.
    So will many others from what I read both here and other places. I would think that should be a concern.
    I would also imagine that the company did a prediction on how many people they would loose with the fee increase. It would be interesting to see how the predictions compare to actual... not that any of us mere mortals here would ever get to do that.

Art,
    From what I can see and have seen of the forum rules, everyone is allowed to express their own opinions and views in a civil manner without censorship.
    To this end, please keep your comments and opinions about the forum sponsor completely positive, complimetary, Favourable and without bias or vested interest. thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    I have decided to stay with Smugmug for one more year but I dropped down to the portfolio level. In this next year, I want to see all the new features and changes that I have been hearing about for the past year implemented. If I don't see anything substantial, I will be leaving. Smugmug, please don't disappoint.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 28, 2012
    Ok, I think these threads have run their course and as stated earlier I find it distasteful to use a forum, provided fee-free and ad-free by Smugmug, to bash the very same company for services unrelated to the dGrin forum.

As a convenience to SM clients, there has always been a section of threads related to SM issues and that's where I'm moving these.

• Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Angelo, some people were expressing their significant disappointment at SmugMug's actions. In my case (in the thread I started), I was being clear about my reasons in the hope that SmugMug could take something from them. On a side note, their lack of response in that thread serves to confirm my fears. For you to state that it isn't acceptable (indeed, you find it distasteful) for people to do this simply because SmugMug provides this forum is quite churlish on your part. To say the least, if DGrin wasn't a valuable part of their business model, they wouldn't be offering it. As such, there are really only two places that people can engage with the company at the same time as their fellow customers - here or on Facebook. To my mind, this is a better place than Facebook.

If I reflect on one of the points made in the thread I began, I have to say that the attitude of the Heroes and the people closely affiliated with SmugMug leaves a lot to be desired. The default response seems to increasingly be one of defensiveness, to the point of rudeness in some cases. I can only hope that someone, somewhere in the company, is seeking to understand the many message of concern posted by a goodly number of people, rather than adopting an attitude of 'the customers are all bastards and we wish they'd just shut up'.
    John
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2012
    Sventekoz wrote: »
    Angelo, some people were expressing their significant disappointment at SmugMug's actions. In my case (in the thread I started), I was being clear about my reasons in the hope that SmugMug could take something from them. On a side note, their lack of response in that thread serves to confirm my fears. For you to state that it isn't acceptable (indeed, you find it distasteful) for people to do this simply because SmugMug provides this forum is quite churlish on your part. To say the least, if DGrin wasn't a valuable part of their business model, they wouldn't be offering it. As such, there are really only two places that people can engage with the company at the same time as their fellow customers - here or on Facebook. To my mind, this is a better place than Facebook.

If I reflect on one of the points made in the thread I began, I have to say that the attitude of the Heroes and the people closely affiliated with SmugMug leaves a lot to be desired. The default response seems to increasingly be one of defensiveness, to the point of rudeness in some cases. I can only hope that someone, somewhere in the company, is seeking to understand the many message of concern posted by a goodly number of people, rather than adopting an attitude of 'the customers are all bastards and we wish they'd just shut up'.

Indeed, this forum is one of the few places where the company can publicly generate a lot of customer goodwill. One of the reasons I joined Smugmug in the first place was that I saw on this forum how well they did at taking bad situations and unhappy customers and turning them around. I used to preach that anyone can have a good customer service when everything goes right; it's only when things don't go right that you can show how fantastic your customer service can be.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2012
    Ok, I think these threads have run their course and as stated earlier I find it distasteful to use a forum, provided fee-free and ad-free by Smugmug, to bash the very same company for services unrelated to the dGrin forum.

As a convenience to SM clients, there has always been a section of threads related to SM issues and that's where I'm moving these.

Dgrin may be a free service, but it is here at least in part, and I'd say probably in the main, to attract, retain, and support paying Smugmug customers, many of whom rely on SM for some or all of their livelihood.
  • Options
    AstoriaPhotographyAstoriaPhotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2012
    I'm sticking with SmugMug!

Me, too. I just incorporated the price difference into my own pricing. I've only been here a year, or so, and I've got no complaints. I'm an idiot, and I ask idiotic questions, and the Heroes have been nothing but gracious and informative. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm surprised to hear of complaints about them. Zen was the other host I was looking at when I decided to launch a website, but ultimately, SM just seemed like the best fit.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Sventekoz wrote: »

I never said this discussion is unacceptable. If that were true and if I had, I could, with a few simple keystrokes, killed these threads, banished them to cyber hell and banned all associated with them... BUT that's not how we operate. All opinions are welcome and allowed space.

I can and do find the discussion distasteful and in as much as that's personal I felt the right to act as a MOD to move the discussion to the correct forum. Keeping the various forums tidy and on subject is primary to the task.

These are SM issues so they belong in the SM Support forum.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Dgrin may be a free service, but it is here at least in part, and I'd say probably in the main, to attract, retain, and support paying Smugmug customers, many of whom rely on SM for some or all of their livelihood.

And what is ZFs business model for attracting clients? Sending surrogates out to bash the competition?

Oh, um, OK, I'll revisit this when I'm able to find their forum.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    And what is ZFs business model for attracting clients? Sending surrogates out to bash the competition?

Oh, um, OK, I'll revisit this when I'm able to find their forum.

I don't know what ZF's business model is. You'll have to ask them. But accusing people who post criticism of SM of being ZF's puppets is pretty low. Is accusing customers (I've been a Smugmug CUSTOMER since 2007, and been registered on these forums for longer than that!) of being puppets for another company what passes for acceptable moderator behavior these days?
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    Please Mods Baldy, anyone .......
    This thread is so utterly pointless and unpleasant, with just a few people making themselves thoroughly objectionable, nitpicking, slagging off, call it what ever you like, but get rid of it and ban the perpetrators please.

If they want to go to Zenfolio fine, goodbye.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    Wow. Just, wow.

So many people being more nasty and sarcastic than the people who have raised legitimate concerns and tried to express them...
    John
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    caroline wrote: »
    This thread is so utterly pointless and unpleasant, with just a few people making themselves thoroughly objectionable, nitpicking, slagging off, call it what ever you like, but get rid of it and ban the perpetrators please.

If they want to go to Zenfolio fine, goodbye.

Caroline

You can unsubscribe to this thread in the thread tools. You can also add users to an ignore list, and then you won't have to see the posts that you find "utterly pointless and unpleasant." thumb.gif
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    All opinions are welcome and allowed space.

I can and do find the discussion distasteful and in as much as that's personal I felt the right to act as a MOD to move the discussion to the correct forum. Keeping the various forums tidy and on subject is primary to the task.

Sorry, Your actions don't match your words.
    You moved 2 "discussions" that were not complimentary to SM to the support section but left one that was more favourable in the business section.

Some might see that as hypocritical or biased.
    Not that I do of course.

There is also a big difference in discussing a problem and bashing something.

Yep, comments like that are bashing, no question about it!!
    Is accusing customers (I've been a Smugmug CUSTOMER since 2007, and been registered on these forums for longer than that!) of being puppets for another company what passes for acceptable moderator behavior these days?

I agree.
    When I read the accusation, the first thing I did was look at the bashed members join date. Clearly he's no sock puppet and to level such a comment was very poor form especially for a mod.
    That comment was far more " Bashing" and distasteful than anything anyone else that has been said and also crossed a line of being personal.

I'm not a Customer of SM and never will be ( maybe because of that I'll be the first to get banned for weighing into this discussion) but I am definitely getting the point about what people are saying of SM's customer service and attitude just from what I have seen in this thread.

I get the feeling though this thread is going to disappear pretty soon. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    And one last parting thought (unless I get accused of being a shill again!):

When a business depends on repeats and referrals for the bulk of its business (as I assume is the case with SM) the hardest thing to track and understand is usually the abandonment rate: the people who just drop out and move on.

Ever been to a restaurant where something gets screwed up? Wrong appetizer brought out, or a hair in the food, waiter has b.o., or something similar? And no one says anything, and when the server comes out and asks how everything is, everyone murmurs "fine," and then, after the meal, out in the parking lot, everyone's whispering "let's never eat there again?"

What restauranteur wouldn't want to be out there in the parking lot, finding out the problems-- many of them easily fixable, often at little or no cost! -- or better yet, finding and fixing the problem while the customer is still in the restaurant.

The problem is, most people just leave without saying a word. And worse, they tell all their friends and relatives not to eat there either.

SM owners should be grateful that the people who are leaving are willing to tell them why they are leaving, instead of just leaving.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2012
    Far be it from me to be or do anything hypocritical. I forgot about the other thread (favorable to SM) and have now merged it into this one.

Mark I find it difficult to accept your incredulous reaction to my comment when you parade a referral code to ZF in your signature while bashing SM

Look, anyone can level any complaint they want...at SM, at Baldy, at the Heros... THIS, the SM Support sub forum is the place, not MYOB. So have at it all you want.

I for one find no fault with SM. I may be a volunteer MOD but I am also a client of SM. I find many, many others get more than excellent service.

• Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2012
    I'd give you all a hug if I could.
  • Options
    roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2012
    I never said this discussion is unacceptable. If that were true and if I had, I could, with a few simple keystrokes, killed these threads, banished them to cyber hell and banned all associated with them... BUT that's not how we operate. All opinions are welcome and allowed space.

I find it very inappropriate to comment "personally" in a thread you are acting as a moderator on. Moving a thread to the right forum is fine. Editing/deleting posts that violate forum rules is fine. Acting as a discussion participant in the same thread you are actively moderating is another story.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 1, 2012
    This thread has run it's course. If you have something pertaining to the original post, feel free to add it. Otherwise, let it go. We're done.

Thanks.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?